Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What food will you NOT eat?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What food will you NOT eat?

by Jenise » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:25 pm

Ignoring the chocolate covered ants etc. and stuff that I don't like but could choke down if I had to, and just list the more or less common foods that I would or have gagged on in the past:

Although I don't like eggs I can handle scrambled or hardboiled bits if someone else includes them in a dish, but I would rather die than eat the soft yolk of a fried, poached or coddled egg.

Cole slaw made with a sweet, milky dressing.

Squid ink.

Rabbit, for exactly Robin's reasons.

Fish skin (love sushi, but pickled herring? No way!!)

Twinkies.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Damn, what a bunch of picky weenies! Oysters? Avocado? Seafood? Twinkies? I could go on and on...

Folks, the *only* reason this species has survied as long as it has is the fact that we are omnivores.

I am rapidly approaching the notion that this species will not only not survive the insects, but possibly even gorillas. Planet of the Apes here we come!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:05 pm

ChefCarey wrote:Damn, what a bunch of picky weenies! Oysters? Avocado? Seafood? Twinkies? I could go on and on...

Folks, the *only* reason this species has survied as long as it has is the fact that we are omnivores.

Yup - take a survival course sometime. You eat anything with calories in it. A friend who regularly goes on botanical expeditions to the Himalayas says he actually has grown to enjoy bee larvae (bit too maggoty for most people).

I draw the line more at things I don't like the taste of than things that repel me when I think about them. Some innards with a strong taste - liver, some kidneys etc. leave me cold.

I even used to spearfish, cut the fish up still flapping and eat them as sashimi in Hawaii - used to drive the tourists crazy.

One thing I will not eat is beche-de-mer or trepang. It is a Holothuroidian that looks like a giant turd and breathes through its ass. None of that puts me off, however. It is the taste that does it for me - anyone tried sea cucumber that way and actually liked it?
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:
... California roll aside, there is plenty of authentically Japanese sushi that does not involve seafood of any kind.
... The term "sushi" encompasses basically anything that starts with sushied rice - in other words, rice flavored with sushi vinegar.

Randy R wrote:
Mark,

I don't want to belabor the point, I just want to understand. If pour definition "basically anything that..." is correct, why is California roll "aside". They look exactly like the ones with salmon and tuna when I get them. (I usually have all three in my number 13 menu Smile so it seems to me they count as sushi.

California roll is sushi, under the standard definition. It's just that if you walk into a restaurant in Japan that serves sushi, you aren't likely to find it. Never say never though, I understand a few Tokyo restaurants do have it on the menu!

On the other hand, I have a friend from Japan who must get her California roll fix whenever she visits the U.S. Go figure...

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:59 pm

Randy R wrote:
Stuart Yaniger wrote:avocado is high on that short list.

Why? The perfect food, protein in a fruit. Pretty fattening though I'd guess.

I think it's the texture that bothers me.
no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun May 14, 2006 9:14 pm

by Sonia Hambleton » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:17 pm

I have a handful of just-as-soon-avoid dishes. A couple of them are just inherent squeamishness raising its ugly head, I guess. I don't really want to eat bunny rabbit even though I know it's a gourmet treat. It reminds me too much of my cats. I have similar instinctive reactions about snake, eel

I didn't think eel was appealing either until I tried unagi - which I really enjoy. You don't have to order a whole donburi meal to try it - many sushi spots you can order it as nigiri.
no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun May 14, 2006 9:14 pm

by Sonia Hambleton » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:28 pm

Here are some things that I've tried as a kid (at the mercy of the adults ordering the dishes), and will never eat again unless am about to faint with hunger and there is no other food on the horizon for a very long time. Most of the time what bothers me is the texture, sometimes it's squeamishness, sometimes it's taste/aroma:

sea cucumber, chicken feet (skin on feet bones? why!), tripe, raw oysters, brain (um... disease anyone?), any drinks with raw egg.

I'm sure there are more foods out there that I would choose not to eat, but I don't even know they exist (phew!)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:50 pm

Sonia Hambleton wrote:Here are some things that I've tried as a kid (at the mercy of the adults ordering the dishes), and will never eat again
brain (um... disease anyone?),

Ahhh - when Jenise told me she'd never had any brains I just nodded sagely. But now it occurs to me that she might have meant that she'd never TASTED brains.....hmmmmmm.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:51 pm

Just about any kind of innards, braunschweiger and certain sausages excepted.

Pecans and walnuts, especially black walnuts.

Anything that has been dyed an unnatural hue (or a natural seeming hue, but accomplished through the use of food coloring). These items no longer even register in my brain as 'food', but appear as inedible as a bottle of bleach.

Baby octopi. I used to love these, in pasta sauces or japanese food. Until the day that I was eating pasta this way and my friend asked "can you see their eyeballs?"- I tried to resist looking but was unable to. Then noticed their tiny beaks, thought about their tiny brains, etc... and I still can't stomach them. There is no reason that this should bother me to this extent, I have butchered rabbits and goats with no problem, but so it is. No baby octupi for me.

Lastly, I'll cast another vote for fish skin. This works out well in my house because my partner loves it. Especially salmon skin. Ew.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:02 pm

Randy R wrote:
Mark Willstatter wrote:... California roll aside, there is plenty of authentically Japanese sushi that does not involve seafood of any kind.
... The term "sushi" encompasses basically anything that starts with sushied rice - in other words, rice flavored with sushi vinegar.

Mark,

I don't want to belabor the point, I just want to understand. If pour definition "basically anything that..." is correct, why is California roll "aside". They look exactly like the ones with salmon and tuna when I get them. (I usually have all three in my number 13 menu :) so it seems to me they count as sushi. I don't claim any authenticity in my eating because although the people in the now very widespread Japanese restaurants all look Japanese and are surely of Japanese origin, they may well have been born here in Paris.

Sushi was one of the finger foods we served at our 25th wedding aniversary, by the way.

Not that it matters...but most folks confuse sushi with sashimi.

The later being cured raw seafood.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:24 pm

Skye Astara wrote:Just about any kind of innards, braunschweiger and certain sausages excepted.

Pecans and walnuts, especially black walnuts.

Anything that has been dyed an unnatural hue (or a natural seeming hue, but accomplished through the use of food coloring). These items no longer even register in my brain as 'food', but appear as inedible as a bottle of bleach.

Baby octopi. I used to love these, in pasta sauces or japanese food. Until the day that I was eating pasta this way and my friend asked "can you see their eyeballs?"- I tried to resist looking but was unable to. Then noticed their tiny beaks, thought about their tiny brains, etc... and I still can't stomach them. There is no reason that this should bother me to this extent, I have butchered rabbits and goats with no problem, but so it is. No baby octupi for me.

Lastly, I'll cast another vote for fish skin. This works out well in my house because my partner loves it. Especially salmon skin. Ew.

You do know that the difference between a "baby" octopus and an "adult" is just matter of months. They only live about 1 year.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:14 am

So far, the only foods that gives me pause are sea cucumbers. I choked down a serving in New York City one December evening -- despite the waiter's warning they weren't for everyone.

After 30 years, it's time to give them another go.

Otherwise, I'm with Chef -- an omnivoire to the core.

Bring it on!

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:45 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Ahhh - when Jenise told me she'd never had any brains I just nodded sagely.

Well, aren't we daring! You know, I might just do something 'brainless' with these three silly little boxes I happen to have here.

But now it occurs to me that she might have meant that she'd never TASTED brains.....hmmmmmm

Are you feeling a bit more certain about that now? Say yes. :D
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:21 am

Jenise wrote:Are you feeling a bit more certain about that now? Say yes. :D

YYEEeeeessssssssssImage
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:42 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:YYEEeeeessssssssss

Good boy. [pat pat]
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Randy R wrote:
Mark Willstatter wrote:... California roll aside, there is plenty of authentically Japanese sushi that does not involve seafood of any kind.

Mark,

I don't want to belabor the point, I just want to understand. If pour definition "basically anything that..." is correct, why is California roll "aside". They look exactly like the ones with salmon and tuna when I get them. (I usually have all three in my number 13 menu :) so it seems to me they count as sushi. I don't claim any authenticity in my eating because although the people in the now very widespread Japanese restaurants all look Japanese and are surely of Japanese origin, they may well have been born here in Paris.

Sushi was one of the finger foods we served at our 25th wedding aniversary, by the way.

Randy, you've misunderstood me. I myself consider California roll to be "sushi" even if invented in the US, just as pasta is still pasta even if it lacks a traditional Italian sauce. The only reason I said "California roll aside" is that earlier in this thread it was asserted that "sushi" means fish. Then somebody responded "what about California roll? - no fish there" and then it was implied that California roll didn't count as a non-fish example because it wasn't real sushi, having been invented in the US. The point I was trying to make is that even in the home country of sushi, fish is not a necessary ingredient.

I think we can stop flogging this horse now. And no, I've never had horse meat sushi. :)
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:25 pm

TimMc wrote:
Randy R wrote:

Tim, you're right about "sushi" and "sashimi" being widely confused, although perhaps not in this gathering place of food lovers. Belaboring yet another fine point though, sashimi is, as you say, raw seafood but there's nothing "cured" about it - just raw seafood, generally sliced thinly, with condiments. Think fish-based sushi without the sushi rice.
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

by alex metags » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:36 pm

The term sashimi does not necessarily refer to seafood. In restaurants in Japan you can also find tori sashi (raw chicken, have not tried it), basashi (raw horsemeat, which I have), etc.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:57 pm

alex metags wrote:The term sashimi does not necessarily refer to seafood. In restaurants in Japan you can also find tori sashi (raw chicken, have not tried it), basashi (raw horsemeat, which I have), etc.

cheers,
al

Sashi, yes...sashimi, no.

Translated, it means pierced body, but primarily refers to raw seafood.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi and
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2044.html
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Mark Willstatter wrote:
TimMc wrote:
Randy R wrote:

Tim, you're right about "sushi" and "sashimi" being widely confused, although perhaps not in this gathering place of food lovers. Belaboring yet another fine point though, sashimi is, as you say, raw seafood but there's nothing "cured" about it - just raw seafood, generally sliced thinly, with condiments. Think fish-based sushi without the sushi rice.

Fair enough.

My meaning was that the seafood has been "treated" and isn't just a fish flopping around on your plate :wink:

It is one of my most favorite Japanese dishes.
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

by alex metags » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:26 pm

TimMc wrote:
Sashi, yes...sashimi, no.

Translated, it means pierced body, but primarily refers to raw seafood.

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi and
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2044.html

Tim, not sure what you are driving at. The Wikipedia article you cite states: "Less common, but not unusual, sashimi ingredients are vegetarian items such as yuba (bean curd skin) and raw red meats, such as beef or horse." Which was my original point - like sushi, the term sashimi does not have to mean seafood. I don't disagree that seafood is the more common raw material, so to speak. :D

BTW sashi (as in tori sashi or basashi) is just a shorthand for sashimi -- such contractions are very common in Japanese. No difference in meaning. You will see the longer form, e.g. tori sashimi , on restaurant menus as well.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:09 am

Can't believe I'm the only one who won't eat beets. Yuck..and don't bother to tell me about your new/special was to prepare them. I've tried them all and beets just suck.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:54 am

"So, how did one country get it wrong?"

That's easy, Randy. "Entrée" precedes the main part of the meal -- dessert. :-)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:32 am

Bill, you might want to steer clear of Oz. Last time we were there, admittedly a while back, they put slices of beet instead of tomato on their hamburgers. Tasted good to moi.
PreviousNext