The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dolcetto 2004 x 3

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Dolcetto 2004 x 3

by Saina » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:43 pm

AFAIK, these are all the Dolcetti (what is the plural of this word?) available at our abysmal monopoly, Alko. The Einaudi (posted again for the sake of completeness), previously a favourite of mine, I disliked as it was spoofed. The Conterno Fantino was certainly a bit spoofy and Zinfandely but was a gluggable enough drink. The Sandrone was my favourite and I genuinely liked it. At the prices they are here, I won't be buying any of them again.

• 2004 Luciano Sandrone Dolcetto d'Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d'Alba (7/21/2006) 13% 22,70€
    Purple. The nose is herbal, but juicily fruity, with a pleasant savoury damp earthiness and a touch of volatility. Very nice nose! The palate is juicy, deliciously bitter, and slightly mineral in its rather long aftertaste. Nice!
  • 2004 Conterno Fantino Dolcetto d'Alba Bricco Bastia - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d'Alba (7/18/2006) 13,5% 21,10€
    Dark red, verging on purple. The nose is a rather mineral, has dried herbs, but is very berryish - it is almost like Zinfandel in its berry aromas, but not in its savoury ones. The palate is very berryish and fruity, rather tannic, savoury in its herbal nuances. Pretty nice!
  • 2004 Poderi Luigi Einaudi Dolcetto di Dogliani - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Dolcetto di Dogliani (7/13/2006) 14% 18,30€
    Impenetrably dark. The nose is odd: yoghurt. Peach yoghurt to be precice. There is also a touch of herbs, only a hint of earthiness and the 14% alc is too evident. The palate is a little better: juicily fruity yet savoury, very tannic, perhaps a touch oaky but not out of balance, but the youghurt is very prominent on the palate also - as is the alcohol. Gladly there are lovely, high amounts of acidity! Bit still, this is a bit of a disappointment. A bit spoofulated.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

Re: WTN: Dolcetto 2004 x 3

by Andrew Shults » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:13 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:
  • 2004 Luciano Sandrone Dolcetto d'Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Dolcetto d'Alba (7/21/2006) 13% 22,70€
    Purple. The nose is herbal, but juicily fruity, with a pleasant savoury damp earthiness and a touch of volatility. Very nice nose! The palate is juicy, deliciously bitter, and slightly mineral in its rather long aftertaste. Nice!

I enjoyed the Sandrone 2004 a couple of weeks ago and loved it as well. I found leather and mulberries on the nose. The tannins softly coated my mouth without the least bit of pucker (I guess this is what happens when the tannins are fully ripe and in balance...this made me realize that I've been drinking too much junk lately). I was surpised by the significant amount of sediment in such a young wine. Is this unfiltered/unfined?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Andrew Shults wrote:
I enjoyed the Sandrone 2004 a couple of weeks ago and loved it as well. I found leather and mulberries on the nose. The tannins softly coated my mouth without the least bit of pucker (I guess this is what happens when the tannins are fully ripe and in balance...this made me realize that I've been drinking too much junk lately). I was surpised by the significant amount of sediment in such a young wine. Is this unfiltered/unfined?

I wouldn't go so far as to say I loved it. But I do like it. Your note is a very apt description also. But sediment? My bottle didn't have any!!!! And I have no idea if it is unfiltered and -fined, sorry.

-Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

by J Nolan » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:36 pm

Dolcetto is an every day favorite with me. I think its one of the most adaptable reds on the market. One of my favorite producers is Az Colombo from the Langhe region. although Rinaldi has a very respectable product as well.