The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

News: Spain outlaws alternative closures

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

News: Spain outlaws alternative closures

by Randy Buckner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Spain’s top wine producers outlaw alternative closures in 11 Spanish regions

NAPA, Calif. – A new Spanish law governing wine closures in some of Spain’s top wine producing regions insists that only cork can be used as a closure for still and sparkling wines in order for it to gain (Denominación de Origen) D.O. status. It outlaws the use of alternative wine closures such as screw caps and synthetic closures, in 11 of Spain’s top wine producing regions. The Catalan Minister of Agriculture and INCAVI, the Catalan Institute of vines and wines introduced the new law at the end of 2005, modifying its existing rules governing viticulture and oenology set down in 2002.

The D.O. is the standard classification for quality wine in Spain, akin to the U.S. American Viticulture Areas (AVAs) Italy’s Denominazione di Origine Controllata (D.O.C.) and France’s Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée (AC). The law affects wines made in the 11 Catalan D.O.s including Catalunya, Costers del Segre, Montsant, Pla de Bages, Tarragona, Alella, Conca de Barberà, Empordà, Penedès, Terra Alta and Priorat. Grape growers in these regions were the first to make distinctively international-style wines. The Priorat region in particular, is considered the new star of Spanish wine, with its red wines developing a cult following, especially among wine lovers abroad. Penedes is the region best known for producing the bulk of Spain’s traditional-method sparkling wine, Cava. The new law deems all Cava must be bottled with cork, as well as all red and white wines from these 11 regions.

“This Spanish law is yet another endorsement for the cork closure,” says Elisa Pedro, Director of Communication & International Relations for APCOR, the consortium of Portuguese cork producers. “Spanish law makers and wine producers are responding to what wine drinkers the world over have been telling us for a long time – cork is a sign of quality for wine.”

APCOR recently launched its International Campaign for Cork, a $US 3 million campaign to promote the use of cork as wine closures. A recent market study of the United States’ wine trade, carried out as part of this campaign, found that nine out of ten consumers think that non-cork closures sometimes or often cheapen a bottle of wine. These findings confirm earlier consumer surveys:

A 2005 closure survey by the Wine Spectator showed 81% of those questioned in an internet survey preferred cork closures compared to 18% who preferred screw caps.

In 2004, Wine Intelligence, a leading international wine industry consultancy, conducted a major survey of American consumer attitudes to two types of seal, cork stoppers and aluminum capsules (screw caps). Two thirds of the respondents thought it was positive to buy wine with a cork stopper, 52% rejected aluminum capsules and only 1% said they did not like to drink wine sealed with a cork.

APCOR is a consortium of more than 280 cork companies, representing approximately 80% of the Portuguese cork business volume and 85% of all cork exports from Portugal. APCOR stands for "Associação Portuguesa da Cortiça" - Portuguese Cork Association. It was founded in 1956 and is based in Santa Maria de Lamas, near Porto in Portugal. Its mission is to represent and promote natural cork and all products made of cork. Companies involved in the production, commerce and export of cork-based products are members of this association.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: News: Spain outlaws alternative closures

by Saina » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:56 pm

WTF? And it's not even 1.4. today!!!!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:WTF? And it's not even 1.4. today!!!!

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

So what does this mean for producers like Torres who are already using screwcaps on wines like Vina Esmeralda?
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:34 pm

I wonder how many Escudo's, or EURO's, APCOR spent wining and dining the Spanish lawmakers?
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:38 pm

I wonder how many Escudo's, or EURO's, APCOR spent wining and dining the Spanish lawmakers?

That was my first thought. It seems counterproductive.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:45 pm

When screwcaps are outlawed only consumers will get screwed.

Sigh...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:12 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:When screwcaps are outlawed only consumers will get screwed.

Sigh...

Well put! A shocking, retrograde development. :evil:
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:34 pm

I think it's absolutely hilarious that high-profile French winemakers have embraced screwcaps and Spain, who (especially in the NE) has totally abandoned traditional winemaking holds firmly in the "cork is better" camp. I love Spanish wines, and there's no way for me to prove this, but it seems to me that I've had a disproportionate amount of corked Conquistedors compared to others.

-Bill