Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Where do your cooking disasters go?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Where do your cooking disasters usually end up?

in the Trash
22%
in the Dog Dish
22%
in the Toilet
No votes
in the Sink
No votes
in the Garbage Disposal
33%
over the Fence
No votes
in the Cat Dish
No votes
in the Compost
No votes
I usually eat it anyway!
22%

Total votes : 9
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Where do your cooking disasters go?

by JoePerry » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:14 pm

I just flushed a frankenchoke disaster down the toilet, which got me to wondering where other Foodies usually dispose of their monstrosities. :shock:

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Where do your cooking disasters go?

by ChefCarey » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:21 pm

You left out a choice in your list. :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:03 pm

I It is rare that I make something we cannot eat. Only one thing comes to mind and that is a cabbage and cheese soup I made once while traveling with our children in our RV. It was so bad that none of us would eat it. Thank goodness, we had some canned soup aboard. Other than that, there are things I make that we do not care for and decide not to make again. My hubby, however, is willing to eat the leftovers for lunch, maybe only once, and then we throw the rest into the garbage or disposal.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:17 pm

Oh, I have many a creative oops to my credit, but about 18 years ago, at the height of my Mr. Momming when we were still in Germany, I opened a can of peeled potatoes in liquid, some German brand in a blue can. It was worse than my first encounter with week-old, leftover steamed okra. My children, now 27 and 24 respectively, do not let me forget that can of potatoes and use it as an excuse for any antisocial behavior they might exhibit today.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:14 am

My husband, the son of a plumber, would KILL me for using the toilet as a waste disposal system.

Like Karen, I don't have edible disasters. Either it's good food, or I burnt it. Or left it too long in the fridge. In either case, nothing I'd feed to a critter, so it usually goes down the Disposal unless it's too tough, in which case it goes in the trash.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:04 pm

I never measure anything when I cook [a habit which drives my wife to distraction] and once in a blue moon, I'll blow it.

However, being but a humble civil servant, we usually choke it down anyway.....

....or order pizza :wink:
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:42 pm

My abominations usually come from either cooking something from a very different ethnic background than what I am used to (like Caribbean food, or Vietnamese food); or from cooking "hobo" dishes based on whatever I have left in the fridge. In the case of the latter, being young people living in an apartment, Amy and I don't have much of a larder. Usually we buy groceries for total consumption within a week, thus I sometimes find myself at the end of the week lacking staples and having random (usually high end) ingredients from previous recipes.

Ah well.

Jenise, no food in the toilet? Where do soups and chunky sauces go for folks without a disposal? :shock: