Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Oyster sauce preference?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Oyster sauce preference?

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:38 pm

My brand of oyster sauce has become pretty pricey over the years. What brand do you like?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Oyster sauce preference?

by Jenise » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:40 pm

Larry,

Although it's as ubiquitous these days as Kikkoman soy sauce, I like and use the Lee Kum Kee brand. There was a brand I liked better for being a little less salty and a little more wine-y that I used to get when I lived near a large Vietnamese community, but where I live now LKK is what's available, and it's fine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:32 pm

I use two of the Lee Kum Kee brands. The cheaper, their Panda Brand (with a red label), I buy in the large bottle for use in most cooking situations. For dipping sauces and other cases where I want the best oyster sauce flavor, I use their more expensive Premium Oyster Sauce (which has a different picture on the label).

They are both very good products.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Sonia Hambleton

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun May 14, 2006 9:14 pm

by Sonia Hambleton » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:44 pm

I get the same as Paul mentions. Just checked the premium bottle (just picked up a new bottle last week), and it has a blue label with a boy and woman in the picture.