Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sauteed Corn with Vidalia Onions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

RCP: Sauteed Corn with Vidalia Onions

by Bob Ross » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Muirhead Foods is a local family farm with a nice range of home made products. They sent this delightful little recipe out to customers a few weeks ago, and it works very well. They call for one of their products, an Apricot Jalapeno Jelly, but I use a couple of other peppered jellies instead. This works wonderfully with fresh corn -- haven't had to settle for frozen so far.

Sauteed Corn with Vidalia Onions

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil

½ Vidalia onion, chopped

3 cups fresh or frozen corn

1 or 2 Tbsp peppered jelly. [optional; may be too sweet depending on your taste and the sugar levels of the onions and/or corn]

Technique

Heat olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté Vidalia onion until golden brown. Reduce heat. Add corn. Cover with pot lid and cook until corn is done about 3 minutes. Stir in peppered jelly. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Ummmm ... sounds good, Bob !

by Bill Spencer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:05 pm

%^)

Only 4 days away from heading out on vacation - the California Central Coast, home to a different farmer's market every day ! Will try this with some fresh corn and whatever fish is fresh off the boat ...

Thanks !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: RCP: Sauteed Corn with Vidalia Onions

by TimMc » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:12 am

Bob Ross wrote:Muirhead Foods is a local family farm with a nice range of home made products. They sent this delightful little recipe out to customers a few weeks ago, and it works very well. They call for one of their products, an Apricot Jalapeno Jelly, but I use a couple of other peppered jellies instead. This works wonderfully with fresh corn -- haven't had to settle for frozen so far.

Sauteed Corn with Vidalia Onions

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil

½ Vidalia onion, chopped

3 cups fresh or frozen corn

1 or 2 Tbsp peppered jelly. [optional; may be too sweet depending on your taste and the sugar levels of the onions and/or corn]

Technique

Heat olive oil in sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté Vidalia onion until golden brown. Reduce heat. Add corn. Cover with pot lid and cook until corn is done about 3 minutes. Stir in peppered jelly. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Regards, Bob

Sounds good, Bob.

I just wish people would stop confusing Vidalia [GA] with Visalia [CA].

Um....just thought I'd share.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

But ...

by Bill Spencer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:55 am

TimMc wrote:I just wish people would stop confusing Vidalia [GA] with Visalia [CA].

%^)

... just north of Visalia, California, growers produce THE sweetest Italian red onions in the world ... they would probably be just as good as the Vidalia's called for in this recipe as a substitute ...

I know - too much information ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: But ...

by TimMc » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:
TimMc wrote:I just wish people would stop confusing Vidalia [GA] with Visalia [CA].

%^)

... just north of Visalia, California, growers produce THE sweetest Italian red onions in the world ... they would probably be just as good as the Vidalia's called for in this recipe as a substitute ...

I know - too much information ...

Clink !

%^)

I know.

I live very near there. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Yuma, Arizona

We used to ...

by Bill Spencer » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:45 am

TimMc wrote:I live very near there. :wink:

%^)

I moved to Kingsburg in 1975 where I met and married my wife, Kathleen, in 1977 ... began my "life sentence" in Yuma in 1981 ... the family business beckoned ... while in Kingsuburg, managed the Pacific Fruit shipping branch there ... was in charge of the grower deal which included the now famous Fresno sweet red onions ... also handled the Cutler-Orosi vine ripe tomato deal, table grape deal, and citrus export programs ... it was there that my in-laws introduced me to Morro Bay - where everyone in the Valley escaped the summer heat ... this summer will be the 29th vacation Kathleen and I have spent in Morro Bay ... high today here will be 116 and the low this morning was only 93 ... can't wait for the 60 degree foggy days in Morro Bay, fresh fish, and daily farmer's markets ... oh and 65 cent oysters at Windows Over The Water every Tuesday while we're there ... sure hope they found something to replace the Chappalet Chenin Blanc to eat with the oysters ! We'll also make a trip or two "over the mountain" into Paso wine country to visit a slew of our favorite wineries ... I'm sure we'll bring home WAY too many cases of wine once again !

Clink !

%^)

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: We used to ...

by Bob Ross » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:50 am

Bill, how well would Vidalia onions grow near Visalia?

Pretty well, I would guess.

If so, the labelling could get pretty interesting. :)

"Visalia's Vidalias", for example.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:
TimMc wrote:I live very near there. :wink:

%^)

I moved to Kingsburg in 1975 where I met and married my wife, Kathleen, in 1977 ... began my "life sentence" in Yuma in 1981 ... the family business beckoned ... while in Kingsuburg, managed the Pacific Fruit shipping branch there ... was in charge of the grower deal which included the now famous Fresno sweet red onions ... also handled the Cutler-Orosi vine ripe tomato deal, table grape deal, and citrus export programs ... it was there that my in-laws introduced me to Morro Bay - where everyone in the Valley escaped the summer heat ... this summer will be the 29th vacation Kathleen and I have spent in Morro Bay ... high today here will be 116 and the low this morning was only 93 ... can't wait for the 60 degree foggy days in Morro Bay, fresh fish, and daily farmer's markets ... oh and 65 cent oysters at Windows Over The Water every Tuesday while we're there ... sure hope they found something to replace the Chappalet Chenin Blanc to eat with the oysters ! We'll also make a trip or two "over the mountain" into Paso wine country to visit a slew of our favorite wineries ... I'm sure we'll bring home WAY too many cases of wine once again !

Clink !

%^)

Kingsburg, eh?

Pretty darn hot in these parts nowdays....wish I was going to Morro Bay. :cry:
Last edited by TimMc on Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Bill, how well would Vidalia onions grow near Visalia?

Pretty well, I would guess.

If so, the labelling could get pretty interesting. :)

"Visalia's Vidalias", for example.

Regards, Bob

Or how about: A Visalian's Visalia Vadalia dish vies with Vidalian's Vidalia in Visalia...?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:28 pm

Say that quickly, Tim.

Three times.

:-)