The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: G&G

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: G&G

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:50 am

Germany

1998 Reinhold Haart Riesling Spatlese Piesporter Goldtropfchen
Lovely lovely lovely. On day one, two and three. Great balance, seems like legitimate spatlese material, a sweet bubble tart of jade green fruit that dances across the palate with sprightly acids and a glistening glistening mineral undercurrent. Nothing profound, but I enjoyed it.

1998 Markus Molitor Riesling Auslese * Bernkasteler Lay “Bremer Ratskeller”
This was apparently bottled especially for the Bremer Ratskeller (a restaurant/wine shop in Bremen where the food is nothing spectacular but the deep wine list has bottles back to the 18th century, and even some non-trockens!), so I wonder if it somehow differed from the “regular” Auslese, or the “regular” Auslese *. Either way, it really came into its own on days two and three with firm ample fruit balanced by a taut sinewy texture and dark clove spice and petrol stone notes, as it is picking up secondaries, but still plenty of succulent fruit, and again, seems like legitimate auslese material. Nothing profound, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Greece

2005 Antonopoylos Vineyards Mantineia
2005 Antonopoylos Vineyards “Gris de Noir”

Both of these are 100% moschofilero, although quite different interpretations as a result of the longer skin contact and grey/rosé color on the latter. The first is rich and floral with a spicy finish, although too damned musky and redolent on the first day for me. On the second day it calms a bit, and is drinkable, but the “Gris de Noir” is much more pleasurable, with less redolence, more snap, more integration, a better tactile grip, while of course also floral and spicy. Still, don’t really need to drink either wine again.

2000 Kir Yianni Naoussa “Ramnista”
100% xynomavro from Northern Greece and it makes me think this is both a grape and region that might hold potential for my tastebuds. Hard spicy berries in the middle with the nebbiolo-esque mentholated fur tannin around the edges. Nice character, although a bit underfruited at the moment, as well as a bit sharp and rustic, so I didn’t exactly fall in love. But, it was promising.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: G&G

by Jenise » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:29 pm

We're on the same wavelength about the Kir-Yianni. I had it a few months ago:

2000 Kir-Yianni, grape Xinomavro, appellation Ramnista
My WOTN. It reminded me of a tannic Santa Barbara pinot--red fruit and green herbs and a minerally earthiness. Needs to shed more tannins to come into balance, but for my tastes this wine had the package of restraint and elegance. $23 at K&L.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Yes, does sound like a similar note. So you think the tannin/rusticity is an issue of the aging curve? I was also wondering what the vintage was like, but I couldn't get anyone to tell me anything more specific than "oh, it was very hot that year, very good vintage" and I was somehow wondering if this was a relatively lean vintage, from what I tasted. Or is that just the grape/aging curve.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:24 am

We differed in that you called it 'rustic' where I detected elegance, but perhaps my bottle was a bit more open than yours. Compared to the other five wines I was tasting at the time (all Greeks, mostly xinomavro), it exuded a sense of understatement and class that the other wines just didn't have. I couldn't determine the reason for that any more than you--the answers I got to the questions were as far apart as the xinomavros were. I haven't a clue what the wine is supposed to be like on a good day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov