The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1986 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 South Australia.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1986 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 South Australia.

by Bob Ross » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:16 pm

1986 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 South Australia. 13% alcohol. Imported by Frederick Wildman and Sons.

Robin [my son's significant other] gave me two bottles of this wine ten years ago soon after I started drinking wine.

My first tasting note for this wine eight years ago was quite positive:

5/28/98 Gift from Robin. Label: Show Awards: 2 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals. Bin 707 is a very special wine in Penfolds range because it epitomizes the excellence of the Cabernet Sauvignon variety as established in the premium regions of South Oz. The comparative scarcity of material of the desired standard sets a limit on the amount of wine made in any one vintage. This exceptional wine combines the fine character of Cabernet with the art of red winemaking so traditional to Penfolds. Good red color; good fruit aroma with some spice; good fruit taste that faded over time; slight tannins; ten to fifteen second finish. 4*.

Eight years have not been kind to this wine; my notes tonight are much less favorable:

Deep red color, deep hue, limited fruit aroma, grudging fruit tastes with hints of spice, well modulated tannins, hint of acidity, medium mouth feel, long single note finish. A drinkable wine, but nothing home really. 2*. Overnight in a cold fridge did nothing to improve things, still a monolith. 2*.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

Re: WTN: 1986 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 South Australia.

by Graeme Gee » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:11 pm

Kind of a shame - it's probably the best regarded vintage of the 80s, ought to be a thoroughly memorable wine. Can't recall having had it myself, but yours doesn't sound typical of the way I've read the wine showing. That's the way it goes sometimes, I guess.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: 1986 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon Bin 707 South Australia.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:18 pm

I was surprised, Graeme. I was young in wine with the first bottle, but remember liking it very much. I would guess it was bottle variation -- we keep a cold cellar at 52F or so.

Too bad I chose the other bottle to drink first -- probably wouldn't have noticed the difference then. :-)