Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

by TimMc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:28 pm

I don't know if this topic has been covered on this particular BBS, but I was wondering what EV Olive Oil you folks prefer for:

1. Cooking

2. Dipping

Post your favorites and suggestions here.

Tim
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Extra Virgin Olive Oil

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:36 pm

TimMc wrote:I don't know if this topic has been covered on this particular BBS, but I was wondering what EV Olive Oil you folks prefer for:

1. Cooking

2. Dipping

Post your favorites and suggestions here.

I'm probably betraying my coarse and uneducated tastes here, but I find that either the abundant and reasonably affordable Colavita or the very similar Whole Foods 365 brand (imported from Italy in a bottle that appears identical to Colavita) works just fine for me.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:45 am

I'll counter with my refined tastes.

I buy much of my EVOO from Rare Wine Company. They select mostly Tuscan oil, tasting through various day's harvests/pressings to select the specific day's oil that they like best, before it gets blended into the more generic oil produced by their estates. The RRC's Il Poggione (the Brunello producer) is my everyday top grade EVOO. I buy a smattering of their other oils, too.

I am a member of the David Rosengarten Olive Oil Club. David has a world expert oil taster travelling the globe to find special oils. they are bottled immediately after harvest and shipped quickly under temperature controlled conditions so that the consumer gets the Olio Nuevo in peak condition.

What works for Robin is bland compared to the oils I use. And I know, because I've tried Robin's oils. They have little olive character.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:16 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I am a member of the David Rosengarten Olive Oil Club. David has a world expert oil taster travelling the globe to find special oils. they are bottled immediately after harvest and shipped quickly under temperature controlled conditions so that the consumer gets the Olio Nuevo in peak condition.

Bernie, I take it you're happy with DR's olive oil selections? I have found his come ons a tad too "spammish" and have thus far resisted his persistent entreaties to join his club. But if you find the oils compelling, maybe I will rethink my position.

I also bought the single vineyard xvoo's from Rare Wine, and use in all raw applications. I love them, and enjoy the differences among the three I purchased.
For cooking purposes, I use an xvoo that we sell to restaurants, Del Papa, which suits me just fine.

Have you tried Alberto's oil? - he sells his "olio e limone" brand oil out of the restaurant, and I have seen it at the Los Olivos Grocery as well.
Last edited by John Tomasso on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:55 pm

We keep Asaro Partanna Sicilian EVOO in our oil can by the stove and also use it for dipping. When a recipe calls "vegetable oil" or when we know we need something bland, we use Bertolli Extra Light.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:when we know we need something bland, we use Bertolli Extra Light.

Carl, have you considered a career in Bertolli's marketing department?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:20 pm

It is just that OO is most healthy all around oil to use unless you want to spring for hazelnut oil which we do use in our vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:25 pm

I'm pretty much with you Bernard, except I also get the New Zealand oil -- that way we are using oil that is never more than eight months old.

I considered joining the Rosengarten club, but have liked Rare Wine so much, and the Rosengarten minimum is just too much for the two of us. His oils would make good gifts, especially with the writeups he does. But two shipments a year from Rare Wine does us just fine.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:03 pm

I believe in supporting our local farmer's, and since we have a great olive oil industry right here in our area, I buy local olive oils. Here are my favorites: Sam Cabral and Family EVOO, unfiltered, made from Manzanillo olives.
Olio Olinda's Very Yellow, Very Mello, fruity and laid back.

My two other faves outside of our area, Rinaldo's Organic Garlic Gold Oil. This is awesome if you want a burst of fresh garlic in your olive oil. We use it on veggies, salads, meats.

Stutz Limonato, EVOO, lemon and olive oil.
I also use Colavita when the olive oil taste is not going to be important to the dish. I play around with others, as well. I am a EVOO and fine vinager junkie!
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:20 pm

For us, Colivita is a mainstay for cooking though we do use a Trader Joe's EVOO [whose name escapes me right now] that is really quite good....given it's humble price and place of purchase.

I did, however, have an occasion to obtain a bottle of EVOO that we used for dipping from Tuscanny and a little producer in the town of Lucca. The oil was absolutely exquiste.

Tell me....does the color of the EVOO have much to do with the flavor?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:42 am

I don't dip at home. I use EVOO for cooking and it is usually Waitrose (UK supermarket) own label Italian.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:57 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I'll counter with my refined tastes.

I buy much of my EVOO from Rare Wine Company. They select mostly Tuscan oil, tasting through various day's harvests/pressings to select the specific day's oil that they like best, before it gets blended into the more generic oil produced by their estates. The RRC's Il Poggione (the Brunello producer) is my everyday top grade EVOO. I buy a smattering of their other oils, too.

I am a member of the David Rosengarten Olive Oil Club. David has a world expert oil taster travelling the globe to find special oils. they are bottled immediately after harvest and shipped quickly under temperature controlled conditions so that the consumer gets the Olio Nuevo in peak condition.

What works for Robin is bland compared to the oils I use. And I know, because I've tried Robin's oils. They have little olive character.

This kind of post is why I largely avoid the wine side of this joint. I don't do snobs well.

As with wine, eat what *you* like. And, while I'm at it, I consider hardly anybody's tastes to be any more refined than anyone else's. Refinement is an overrated trait. All extra virgin olive oil (read, unrefined) with it's high omega-9 content, is good for us.

Character, schmaracter, everyone's palate is different.

And while I like David Rosengarten just fine (after all, he did write a glowing review of my latest book) I consider joining an "Extra Virgin Olive Oil Club" (can't bring myself to utter "EVOO" -largely because of Rachel Ray's incessant usage of the term - shiver) akin to enlisting in the wonderful new. only-in-America, Boot Camp Club for Brides (so fat American women can fit in their bridal gowns - for one day), the ultimate in post modern American decadence.

Hey, this gives me an idea...

The Olive Oyl Extra Virgin Boot Camp for gangly, skinny (definitely a minority group now - I could probably get a grant) virgins (double-minority - Bingo!)with grating voices and big feet. A month on a spinach and olive oil diet. I knew I'd find my niche.

Parenthetically,
The Culinary Curmudgeon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:10 am

She wasn't a virgin. Remember Swee' Pea?
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:01 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:She wasn't a virgin. Remember Swee' Pea?

But who was the daddy? Bluto, or Popeye?
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:03 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:She wasn't a virgin. Remember Swee' Pea?

Adopted.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 am

ChefCarey wrote:This kind of post is why I largely avoid the wine side of this joint. I don't do snobs well.

Parenthetically,
The Culinary Curmudgeon

As with most generalities..... :? Many of us post on both sides and there are some wonderful and knowledgeable people here. I've learned a lot on both sides, and, I hope, contributed to others' understanding and enjoyment of wine and food. So by avoiding the wine side you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:38 am

Howie Hart wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:This kind of post is why I largely avoid the wine side of this joint. I don't do snobs well.

Parenthetically,
The Culinary Curmudgeon

As with most generalities..... :? Many of us post on both sides and there are some wonderful and knowledgeable people here. I've learned a lot on both sides, and, I hope, contributed to others' understanding and enjoyment of wine and food. So by avoiding the wine side you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

A very reasonable statement, Howie. You're right, no doubt.

However, reason is not nearly so entertaining - or fun. :)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:13 pm

ChefCarey wrote:However, reason is not nearly so entertaining - or fun. :)

How true. It was not very reasonable that I drank beer and shots of bourbon until 2:30AM Saturday night and had to have my son come and drive me home. But it was entertaining and fun (I think). :oops:
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:However, reason is not nearly so entertaining - or fun. :)

How true. It was not very reasonable that I drank beer and shots of bourbon until 2:30AM Saturday night and had to have my son come and drive me home. But it was entertaining and fun (I think). :oops:

Been there. Been that. :)
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:01 pm

Spinach and olive oil...now yer talkin'!

I first had that particular dish as an appetizer at a French restaurant in the South of Market District in San Francisco. A dash of lemon juice and I was in heaven. :)
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:04 pm

Oh, and we were drinking a Fume Blanc from Jepson Vineyards.

Great combination.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:04 pm

TimMc wrote:Spinach and olive oil...now yer talkin'!

I first had that particular dish as an appetizer at a French restaurant in the South of Market District in San Francisco. A dash of lemon juice and I was in heaven. :)

I'm almost always talkin' - do it for a living. :) But, I did make some fresh baby spinach leaves sauteed in olive oil with a little garlic just the other day (as a bed for a salmon dish I do) topped off with a little freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:14 pm

ChefCarey wrote:
TimMc wrote:Spinach and olive oil...now yer talkin'!

I'm almost always talkin' - do it for a living. :) But, I did make some fresh baby spinach leaves sauteed in olive oil with a little garlic just the other day (as a bed for a salmon dish I do) topped off with a little freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

Ooo...yer killin' me, Carey!

Expertly served with a nice Pinot, no doubt.

You can cook for me anytime :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:06 pm

Kinda like the others. For dipping and other condiment uses, I buy Tuscan EVOOs from Rare Wine. For cooking, I buy a Tuscan from Costco; I also use their extra light.

Whoever mentioned Trader Joe's, might be the Santini if Joe's still stocks that. Best for the price I've found anywhere.

Factoid: according to something I just received in the mail, a single olive tree only produces one liter of EVOO.

Chef Carey: we on FLDG have been using the term 'EVOO' since long before Rachel had a show. It's safe. Oh, and unfair pounce on Bernard. He was parroting Robin, and I enjoy the fact that he's proud to use the best quality ingredients he can buy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Next