The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hybrid Pink from Delaware (the State, that is)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

WTN: Hybrid Pink from Delaware (the State, that is)

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 pm

Nassau Valley Vineyards Cape Rose NV

A pink blend of Cayuga and Chancellor, named for Cape Henlopen, from a winery just outside Lewes, Delaware that claims to be the first and only in the State. The new winemaker is a friendly young native-Missouran, and vinifera and hybrid grapes for the total 3500 case (IIRC) production are both estate grown and sourced from other regional growers. Given his background, the winemaker hopes at some point to add a Cynthiana (aka Norton) to the lineup. A distribution deal is close to happening, he says, so my fellow mid-Atlantickers may have a shot at seeing these wines.

Ultra-clear, copper-tinted pale red. Attractive nose of pink grapefruit, apple skin, and roses. Medium bodied, it hints at sweetness on the attack, but stays dry. Strawberry preserve flavors with hints of red hard candy, and some unappealing chalk and vinyl notes on the finish. $11. Alcohol content not cited on the label (I looked and looked and looked).
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Hybrid Pink from Delaware (the State, that is)

by James Roscoe » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Doing a little beach time this past weekend? I have some close friends who are very into wine and go to Lewes every summer with their family. the whole family is wine literate. Where is the winery? I will give them the option.

Did the acidity hold up? I'm an acid head when it comes to my roses. They are great with a good crab cake.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:44 pm

Thanks for the note, Clinton!!

A Chancellor/Cayuga blend is new to me, though I'm sure it works. Sounds like a well made wine, though I'd wonder about those vinyl notes too. Who knows ... maybe the winery used polyurethane storage vessels? What kind of stopper did the wine have?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:54 pm

Paul B. wrote:I'd wonder about those vinyl notes too. Who knows ... maybe the winery used polyurethane storage vessels? What kind of stopper did the wine have?

Those high-tone organic solvent aromas are usually a sign of volatile acidity. Plasticky notes aren't likely to come from winery equipment or synthetic corks, although the latter are often implicated in quick oxidation.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:01 pm

James--
The winery is on Rt. 9 about a mile west of Rt. 1, and marked with a billboard-sized sign, so it's hard to miss. Acidity was adequate, but could have been a bit sharper for my taste. Agree wholeheartedly on the rose-with-crabcakes pairing. I've especially enjoyed a pink Cinsault from Les Jamelles (only $8 or $9) in that context.

Paul--
Now that you mention it, there were a lot plastic containers in the winery's cellar, but I couldn't say whether they're used for long-term storage. The bottle was stopped with a composite cork.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:10 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:The bottle was stopped with a composite cork.

Seems like a match to me! I have routinely picked up plasticky/vinyl smells in whites closed with composite corks. That's why I'm not much of a fan of these closures. I've really begun taking to screwcaps lately.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:16 pm

Paul B. wrote: I've really begun taking to screwcaps lately.

You obviously missed the recent screwcap war while you were in Poland. It was quite a nice dust-up, but I've seen worse.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:26 pm

James, I became a convert literally on the day that Howie and I visited Flat Rock Cellars in Niagara. These folks have concentrated their efforts largely on Riesling and Pinot Noir, and Chardonnay. All their wines are bottled under screwcap, and they are all extremely well made wines. The Pinot was literally the best one I have so far tasted from Ontario.

Now, that doesn't have much to do with the screwcap closure itself - a quality wine will always start out as such, no matter what closure the winery later chooses to use. But as I once mused some years back, I knew that I would start viewing screwcaps as a worthy closure once I saw them being used on quality estate wines and not the nasty industrial plonk that they have been so closely associated with for years.