The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Slovenian Ribolla and Campanian Palagrello Bianco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Slovenian Ribolla and Campanian Palagrello Bianco

by Hoke » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:43 pm

I sidled up to the Domaine Select table at the Society of Wine Educators' International Tasting to sample a couple of wines. Sidling was required because there were a couple of double wide-bodied wine appreciators who had firmly stationed their fat asses directly in front of the table and refused to move...or let anyone else have access...until they had slowly and studiously tasted every single wine while asking lengthy questions about each wine and making copious notes.

Having to meet rudeness with rudeness, I sidled around one chubber, then shoved my glass around her rotundity and asked for a pour.

I got the Movia Ribolla, Brda, Slovenia 2003. I was sorely disappointed, as it was rather bland and unfocused. Since this is the first Kristancic Ribolla I've had, I seriously hope it's a casualty of the 2003 vintage, because I've been impressed with the Sauvignons he's been putting out lately. I'll reserve judgement and hope for better things succeeding vintage releases.

Sidling once again, for the Immovable Large Objects are still there, I request an Alois "Caiti" Palagrello Bianco, Casera, Campania 2004. Hmmm, long term family farm in Campania, advice of Cotarella and Traducca, focus on autochthonous varieties (doesn't autochthonous sound neater than indigenous, or the puny local?), organic/bio....could be interesting.

And it is, but not very. At a suggested $30 retail, I certainly wouldn't buy it, opting instead for a more vigorous Greco, or Fiano or Falanghina or even a Lachryma Cristi Bianco. The Palagrello was very light, seemed thin, and had very little aroma. Hollow in the middle and lacking in fruit. My first and only Palagrello, so again I'll withhold judgement as to the variety. This one was interesting, but not compelling.

The two lumps still emplaced, I tired of executing flanking movements, gave up, and went to other tables.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

So, Hoke.....

by TomHill » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:16 pm

You're sure not one to pull your punches when expressing your outrage!!! :-)
I had the Edi Simcic Rebula '02 in my tasting last week. Absolutely killer stuff,
2'nd best Slovene wine I've ever had. First best was the Edi Simcic Takaj '02 we also had that night. He's a producer you should track down. Imported by Small Vnyds out of Seattle.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: So, Hoke.....

by Hoke » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:07 pm

Guess I'm like Captain McCall in Lonesome Dove: I can't abide rudeness. :D

These two inconsiderate, thoughtless, selfish expletive deleteds were blocking about thirty different people, most of whom gave up and went to other tables. And they stayed rooted in place for about half an hour, at least, maybe longer.

Not only was this patently rude to the other guests, who were eager to sample some of these wines, it was unfair to the poor displayer who was attempting to show his wares to as many people as possible. But these people didn't take hints, or outright expressions of displeasure: they ignored everything else so they could leisurely taste what they wanted. Aaargh!

Thanks for the tip on the Simcic. Haven't seen them around here, but I will be on the lookout. At the very worst, I get up to Seattle occasionally, so I can snag some there.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Re: WTN: Slovenian Ribolla and Campanian Palagrello Bianco

by Dave Erickson » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Yes, autochthonous sounds much better than indigenous. :D

As for the other, I'm surprised the presenter didn't shoo away the Large Loiterers. Although who knows, maybe they were Large Accounts, too.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Hoke--I think you are right about the vintage. I've had both the '01 and the '02 Movia Ribolla and thought both were decent QPR if not life changing experiences.

BTW I've found that a gentle foot tread sometimes works against previously, rudely immovable objects.
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Re: So, Hoke.....

by robs_r » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:40 am

I had the Edi Simcic Rebula '02 in my tasting last week. Absolutely killer stuff..

Tom. was this the Reserva? I have a bottle somewhere that I brought back from a short visit to Slovenia last year, along with some other pretty interesting stuff from Nando, Batic and Lavrencic.

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:50 am

Thanks for the note. I just had a Slovenian tasting last night (I'm slowly getting the notes written) and we had the Movia 03 Rebula which was showing well for the vintage. The 03 Sauvignon was boring though.

We also had the Edi Simcic Rebula 02 which I thought was massively overoaked. Nasty stuff, though totally different to what Edi Simcic's style has been in other bottles, so maybe it was a bit flawed? But I couldn't tell in what way it could have been flawed.

Slovenia makes some stunning stuff!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:52 am

Robert,
Indeed it WAS the Riserva.
Tom