Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Extra Virgin Olive Oil

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:05 pm

Jenise wrote:Kinda like the others. For dipping and other condiment uses, I buy Tuscan EVOOs from Rare Wine. For cooking, I buy a Tuscan from Costco; I also use their extra light.

Whoever mentioned Trader Joe's, might be the Santini if Joe's still stocks that. Best for the price I've found anywhere.

Factoid: according to something I just received in the mail, a single olive tree only produces one liter of EVOO.

Chef Carey: we on FLDG have been using the term 'EVOO' since long before Rachel had a show. It's safe. Oh, and unfair pounce on Bernard. He was parroting Robin, and I enjoy the fact that he's proud to use the best quality ingredients he can buy.

The expression has been forever co-opted by the omnipresent Ray food machine. She's been drumming it into millions of soggy brains since 2001. It's lost. Happened in the past. Words like "communist," and "capitalist," for instance.

It did not seem to me there was any "parroting" going on. Seemed more like scoffing and suggesting Robin's palate was quotidian and less refined than his. Or, have I lost my ability to read with comprehension? Damn that speed reading teacher!

Factoid: Chef Carey is contentious and confrontational when he sniffs snobbery. Thus it ever was and thus it will be.

Oh, and I edited that post before I sent it, I thought I said a couple of unfair things in my first shot at it.

Maybe you should lock me out of the forum for "unfairness," since I'm sure I'm the first and only offender in that regard.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:10 pm

[

Expertly served with a nice Pinot, no doubt.

[/quote]

Nah, I had to settle for a bottle of Beaux Freres 1992, barley hanging on.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:23 pm

ChefCarey wrote: It did not seem to me there was any "parroting" going on. Seemed more like scoffing and suggesting Robin's palate was quotidian and less refined than his.

Nah. Bernie's been around FLDG for years; he's a gentleman and one of the best home cooks to grace our doors.

Carey is contentious and confrontational when he sniffs snobbery. Thus it ever was and thus it will be.

Hey, one man's standard is another man's snob. We're all snobs in our own way. Even you, big boy. :)

Maybe you should lock me out of the forum for "unfairness," since I'm sure I'm the first and only offender in that regard.

Heck no. You're too much fun.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:47 pm

Jenise wrote:
ChefCarey wrote: It did not seem to me there was any "parroting" going on. Seemed more like scoffing and suggesting Robin's palate was quotidian and less refined than his.

Nah. Bernie's been around FLDG for years; he's a gentleman and one of the best home cooks to grace our doors.

Carey is contentious and confrontational when he sniffs snobbery. Thus it ever was and thus it will be.

Hey, one man's standard is another man's snob. We're all snobs in our own way. Even you, big boy. :)

Heck no. You're too much fun.

Snob? Moi? How unspeakably pedestrian of you to say so! :)

Yeah, I'm the bad boy yo' momma was always trying to keep out of the house. For some reason, Jewish mothers in particular, hightailed it to the chastity belt store as soon as word I was in the county reached them. "It's the Irish shegetz! It's the shegetz! He's heerrre!" :)
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:57 pm

No Trader Joe's here, no Whole Foods Market, no Costco... just the local "upscale" regional chain supermarket.

We buy their (actually very good) inhouse "Market District" products or the Pilippo Berio brand which, according to the label, contains oils from Italy, Spain, Greece and Tunisia.

Hmmm, a blend as opposed to a varietal!
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:01 pm

Jenise wrote: For cooking, I buy a Tuscan from Costco; I also use their extra light.

For cooking, we do as well.

Jenise wrote:Whoever mentioned Trader Joe's, might be the Santini if Joe's still stocks that. Best for the price I've found anywhere.

Santini...of course!

A very nice EVOO, in my estimation....and, oh-by-the-way, I was the person who first mentioned it. :wink:

Not that it matters.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:01 am

Thanks, Jenise, for giving Carey some helpful background data.

FWIW, I will be edgy when it serves a nobler purpose. Just because Robin is happy with mid-level, mass produced oils, they still happen to be bland and unworthy of recommendation for someone truly looking for the best. The best are artisanal oils, made in small batches, and imported in minute quantities.

One the wine side of the fence, Robin might be happy to drink Cotes du Rhone, but would he recommend it to someone asking about a favorite Rhone wine? I think not. That would probably be a small production CDP from the southern Rhone or an Hermitage or C-R from the north.

Regarding freshness... Rosengarten has featured Chilean oil in the most recent shipment and Aussie oil 6 months earlier.

I do find the frequency of Rosengarten shipments too rapid, as I cannot go through oil that quickly. But they are superb and distinctive.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:10 am

Thanks for the feedback on Rosengarten, Bernard. I'm sorely tempted, but just know we couldn't keep up with his quantities. We'll stick with the Rare Wine Company and the odd dated bottles from a really nice speciality food shop nearby -- they had a Chilean oil last spring that was delicious.

Yours in olive oil snobbery. :-)

Bob
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:43 am

FWIW, I will be edgy when it serves a nobler purpose.

??????????
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:57 am

Bernard Roth wrote:I do find the frequency of Rosengarten shipments too rapid, as I cannot go through oil that quickly. But they are superb and distinctive.

You could always give it away to your xvoo (not evoo dammit) loving friends. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:23 am

About Swee' Pea... Per Wikipedia, his exact relationship to Olive Oyl is never stated in the cartoons. In the original comic strip, he is a foundling in Popeye's care.

About Tuscan oils... So many are so peppery to me. I find they bite my throat too hard. This includes the ones from Rare Wine Co.

Etc... I've tried some Spanish, Greek, and Sicilian oils. Pretty blah examples. I once found a really nice French oil but I've forgotten its name (and the store I bought it in is gone). It had a windmill on the label.
Previous