The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

The Best Producer in Alsace

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Who is THE BEST producer in Alsace?

Marcel Deiss
No votes
Domaine Zind Humbrecht
20%
Domaine Weinbach
10%
Other -and it better be good
70%

Total votes : 20
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

The Best Producer in Alsace

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:33 am

We may all have our favorites, but can we all agree that these are the fillets of Alsace? IMO they are far and away ahead of the pack. If not, who else?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: The Best Producer in Alsace

by Bob Ross » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:40 am

For me, it's Trimbach, Bill. Love the wines, but the history, the limited production, the incredible consistency of great wines during the 1900s and into this century -- they have to be considered.

Just taste a Close St. Hune or a Cuvee Frederic Emile -- may not be the best -- but gee you have to at least consider them.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:08 am

Trimbach makes stunning wines on the upper end. But the generics are spotty and mostly made from purchased produce. The Best has to be just that and show consistency throughout the entire range. I failed to throw in Hugel for the same reason.

Prost!
-Bill
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:14 am

I also favor Trimbach.. and also Schoffit
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:19 am

I also would go with Trimbach. They have their domaine wines and their negotient wines. I don't think you can judge their domaine wines based on their negotient wines. They are two seperate parts of their company. The CSH and CFE are among the apex of Alsace wines. Their VT and SGN's are classics. Deiss, Weinbach, and Zind-Humbrech would love to have the record of these wines.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:21 am

Just taste a Close St. Hune or a Cuvee Frederic Emile -- may not be the best -- but gee you have to at least consider them.

Actually I think most people would consider them the best.
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:27 am

I can't say I've had a Deiss that wowed me.

On the other hand, I have had terrific wines from Boxler. So I have to wonder about the reason for putting Deiss and not Boxler?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:31 am

Sounds like Bill might have had a notion of which HE thought were best... with this board.. well... people are going to be all over the board in terms of who they like.... which is nice.. since we all will get some idea of maybe some unfamiliar producers to try. I have found myself buying more from Alsace and less from Germany because of the sweetness of far too many German whites.... So, I'm happy to see who different folks favor.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:38 am

Bill, I understand the distinction, but no other Alsatian producer gets raves from me like this one:

1985 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune Alsace France. Pale straw in color, still with a slight greenish cast at the edge; brilliantly focused in the nose, classic Riesling, minerality, light petrol and a touch of citrus peel; on the palate, medium-light bodied, still quite youthful and the good acidity belie its 15 years of age; the finish is crisp, and lingering. An exceptionally flavorful, superb Riesling — my white wine of the night, and second favorite of the evening. 5*.

I've had about 50 Trimbachs over the past ten years, only one with three stars, ten with four, and the rest with five or four plus.

A winner for me, even though I've liked other producer's wines. Nothing matches Trimbach in our house.

Regards, and thanks for a great poll, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:31 am

I'm a Trimbach guy too. I also like the Sparr line, but I drink at the value end. Even there I prefer the Trimbach IMHO.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:08 am

I don't drink lots of Alsatian wine, but isn't Deiss quite unreliable?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:32 am

For your poll to be meaningful you really have to include Trimbach as a selection. Otherwise I do not believe that the results will give you much useful information.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:09 am

This acknowledged non-expert (2 weeks in Alsace) liked Jean Becker in Zellenberg, Schlumberger, and Albert Boxler.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:22 am

Bill Hooper wrote:We may all have our favorites, but can we all agree that these are the fillets of Alsace? IMO they are far and away ahead of the pack. If not, who else?

I'm not a huge Alsace fan, but I'm far from persuaded by Zind-Humbrecht. Maybe it's just an instinctive aversion to a Parker favorite, but it seems to me that they depart from traditional Alsatian style in pursuit of points, and I don't like that.

I think Trimbach clearly belongs on your list, and among small producers, I could make a strong case for Marc Kreydenweiss.

I never hear about Mittnach-Klack any more, but they were a real cult item among wine geeks in the 1980s.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:04 am

Cattin and Mann. Not too much experience with Trimbach but what I have had has been superb.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:36 pm

yet another Trimbach
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Bill,
Here we will agree to disagree.
Trimbach is, IMO, far the most reliable and has the finest bottlings at all price points.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:We may all have our favorites, but can we all agree that these are the fillets of Alsace? IMO they are far and away ahead of the pack. If not, who else?

I'm not a huge Alsace fan, but I'm far from persuaded by Zind-Humbrecht. Maybe it's just an instinctive aversion to a Parker favorite, but it seems to me that they depart from traditional Alsatian style in pursuit of points, and I don't like that.

I'll sum up ZH with a quote from Gary Walsh regarding one of the dry wines: "I didn't know whether to drink it or rub it on my chest."

My favs are Trimbach and Lorentz.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:42 pm

For my money, I like Trimbach for riesling and Kreyedenweiss or Weinbach for gewurtz.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:12 pm

Deiss is a tricky one to compare with other Alsace producers, as he's the only one to make many of his top wines through a field blend. He's not the only one to ignore the grand cru system in Alsace (there are a few others who follow the same path), but that certainly differentiates them from Trimbach, Weinbach and Z-H as well in some respects. Of course, although he doesn't name the grand cru, he still uses them...

I'm not a big fan of saying there should be one 'best' producer from any one region, but I admit it's a fun and interesting process to discuss it! It's especially tricky in Alsace, where there are three main grapes to deal with (as others have noted, some producers do better than others with, for example, riesling, pinot gris, or gewurtztraminer) and dry and VT/SGN styles as well; not to mention the fact that some producers seem to do slightly better than others each year. Then there's the whole dry vs residual sugar style preferences to deal with!
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:14 am

Hubert Hartmann's Chateau D'Orschwihr. The man who transmutes pinot blanc into something heavenly. His riesling is pretty super, too.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:48 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Bill,
Here we will agree to disagree.
Trimbach is, IMO, far the most reliable and has the finest bottlings at all price points.
Best, Jim

I agree. From the basic varietal bottlings to the CFE all are IMO bloody brilliant! Trimbach even makes a Gewurz I'm very fond of: Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre.

For cheapies, one who makes very pure expressions of the grapes is Joseph Scharsch.

I've got a funny relationship with Z-H. I love tasting his wines. But I really don't think I could ever manage more than a tasting pour of them. Especially at big walk-about tastings it's nice to go to the Z-H lineup because there will be acidity and minerals and they are always interesting in some ways. But they are also a tad in-your-face, too big, and too tiring to drink.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:53 pm

I can't work out how to cast my vote. It is emphatically "other", I.E. for Trimbach Sainte-Hune and Fréd. Emile.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:06 pm

I picked Weinbach off the list, but that is specifically for their Gewurztraminer. No other estate compares to Trimbach for Riesling IMNSHO.

I'm not much of a Pinot Gris fan, so no real opinion there.
Decisions are made by those who show up