The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

5 Women Drink Rhones and White Burgundy in NYC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

5 Women Drink Rhones and White Burgundy in NYC

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:41 pm

On this warm summer evening, three of us came from Long Island (one with a broken hip), one came from New Jersey, and one walked 3 blocks from her office to meet at 11 Madison Park for dinner and wine. It has been said before, but I will reiterate that 11 Mad Park is an ideal restaurant in which to enjoy an outstanding wine and food experience. We ordered off the regular prix fixe menu and brought our own wine.

Our lineup

With assorted appetizers of poached egg atop frogs legs and chanterelles, corn chowder with chunks of lobster and drizzled with bacon oil , and langostines with peas and carrots
1996 Domaine Caillot Batard-Montrachet – beautiful dark golden in color, it started out with a muted nose, but soon opened with aromas of honey and buttered popcorn. An elixir of burnt almonds and zest of orange, with a long nutty finish that coated the mouth – just lovely.

As we segued into the next course
1978 Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde – when looking around for a wine to bring, Kim remembered that I mentioned this wine from a dinner at Cru. It was fantastic then and showed beautifully last night. We would have done it more justice had we arranged to drink this with our entrees, but it needed to go before the remaining very young wines. A floral nose, and on the palate were sweet red fruit, some black olive leading to a smoky finish. It showed well for a 28 year old wine.

With our entrees of lamb with Moroccan spices, and tenderloin of beef were our final three wines
1999 Rostaing Cote Rotie Cote Blonde – a great, gamey nose. More tannic than the following two wines, it is full bodied, well structured showing earth and smoky, dark fruit.
2003 Rostaing Cote Rotie Cote Blonde – gorgeous black cherry nose, restraint prevents it from being a jammy fruit bomb, it shows sweet black fruit and a touch of spice with sweet tannins. The least Rhonelike of all the wines.
2003 Rostaing Cote Rotie La Landonne – pronounced nose of black cherries and bacon fat, full bodied with dark currant and a cocoa and dusty tannic finish.

With the cheese course, we continued with the leftover wine.

Wow – these were all great wines. I couldn’t (wouldn’t) pick a favorite, The last three wines were so easy to drink and enjoy. The 1978 was a treat, and the Batard, after the initial chill warmed up a bit, was stunning. Time restraints precluded us from opening our dessert wine, 1999 Essence D’Automme, Condrieu. We had the assistance of Sam, one of the sommeliers, and he seemed as excited about these wines as we. Service at the restaurant, after a small gaff, was tremendous. I would return in a heartbeat.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: 5 Women Drink Rhones and White Burgundy in NYC

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:08 am

thanks for the notes, Diane. You mentioned having a time crunch so I was curious as to how long you had to let the Rostaing's open up. Or where they opened prior to getting at the restaurant?
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:49 pm

Bill - the 1999 Rostaing was opened earlier in the day, but wasn't decanted. The two 2003 Rostaings were decanted in the restaurant when we arrived about an hour to an hour and a half before drinking. Of course, there will be much more to the wines than what we experienced, but they were still very enjoyable, and I'm not sorry that we took the opportunity to taste each and every one.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:07 pm

We had the assistance of Sam, one of the sommeliers, and he seemed as excited about these wines as we.

I'm sure. Not only for them on their own account, but to encounter a group of women drinking wines like that. I'm sure it was a rare treat. Really envy you that 78--for all the old wines I get to drink, I've never had a Rhone or even a syrah with that kind of advanced age.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Jenise wrote:

I'm sure. Not only for them on their own account, but to encounter a group of women drinking wines like that. I'm sure it was a rare treat. Really envy you that 78--for all the old wines I get to drink, I've never had a Rhone or even a syrah with that kind of advanced age.

I feel lucky, indeed, to have enjoyed the wine on two separate occasions.
I can't praise the restaurant and the wine service enough. The new chef, Daniel Humm, formerly of Campton Place in San Francisco has raised the level of cooking at Eleven Madison Park.
Diane