The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Castello Montauto - Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tyler Brebbermann

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:19 am

Hamburg, Germany

WTN: Castello Montauto - Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG 2003

by Tyler Brebbermann » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:12 am

13.5 % / vol.

This wine has a very clear straw yellow color. The nose is filled with flowery fresh sweet peach and honey dew aromas. Perhaps even an herbal/grassy aspect to it. A full bodied white, the fruit seems to be a little less forward on the palate with a nutty tone becoming aparent. The wine could use just a tad more acidity, as the it seems to have a good amount of RS and come out a tad flabby in the finish. Other a nice full bodied white with moderate length.

I don't have much experience with Italian whites, but this is a very nice wine which would probably go well with a variety of foods. I could imagine enjoying this with a creamy gorganzola pasta or perhaps a four cheese pizza. It seems like a nice alternative to Chardonnay, as the buttery/creamy quality of Chardonnay is a turn-off to me. Glad I tried this.

Tyler
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Castello Montauto - Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG 2003

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:19 am

Thanks for posting Tyler. In my youth and straight out of hotel school, I used to drink Nuit St Georges in a local restaurant and Vernaccia in the late night club. Don`t follow too close in my footsteps!!!!!
no avatar
User

J Nolan

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:48 pm

Italy

Re: WTN: Castello Montauto - Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG 2003

by J Nolan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:32 am

I had a lovely Vernaccia di San Gimignano the other day Called AB Vinea Doni -13.5%- Producer Falchini, its their 'Prodotto di Punta' 90% Vernaccia 10% Chardonnay but I have to say it was refreshing to find a new wine with fantastic structure, from a producer who knows how to use wood so to say.
I've got a couple of these in the cellar.