The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Swiss Wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Swiss Wines?

by Bill Hooper » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:56 pm

I'm heading to Switzerland on tuesday and I'm looking for recommendations on wines to pick up. I've tasted a few wines that Dreyfus-Ashby brings in from Neuchatel and had a few more at last years VinExpo in Bordeaux. I'll probably be confined more or less to Zurich, but will consider a jaunt over to Geneva if need be. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,
Bill
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Swiss Wines?

by Tim York » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:21 am

I did a note following my visit last year to Swiss Valais. It can be found in the archive using key words "Valais Cornalin Petite Arvine".

I am sure that it should be possible to find wine shops in Zurich and Geneva with a well selected choice of Swiss wines but you will need local advice.

I was impressed by the tasty and original wines made from local Swiss varieties, particularly Cornalin (red) and Petite Arvine (white).

Finally you should know that Switzerland imports an amazing selection of French, German and Italian wine and the prices are reputedly very competitive.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:14 am

Bill, my mother is from Basel and I have visited that city quite a few times..love the tram rides! I always visited the big grocery shops where I usually found a good selection of Swiss wines. More budget style though but the higher end stores should be excellent. I found time to talk to restaurant staff who always seem to know the local wineshop hotspots!!

OK went to google, tons of info especially on Geneva. Also check wine-searcher i e http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchants/switzerland
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:09 pm

Merci!