The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Pelee Island Blanc de Blancs (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2005 Pelee Island Blanc de Blancs (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:33 pm

This wine has traditionally been a varietal Seyval Blanc bottled under the "Blanc de Blancs" label. For 2005 I see that it is a blend of Vidal and Seyval, though in undisclosed proportions.

13% alc./vol. Bright, crystal-clear pale straw with a greenish glint. Initially very sulfury, almost harshly so; after about 3 days in the open bottle (stored in the fridge) the harshness seems to have subsided. Light aromas of green apple and even a hint of something faintly labrusca (I get this in Pelee Island's whites quite a bit - maybe it's a clonal thing?). Quite hot, actually, though this could be due to the sulfite and not just the alcohol. Crisp and clean with something in the order of 1 g/l r.s., just going by taste. A bit rough around the edges texture-wise and not among the top white hybrid table wines of Ontario, but it's still on the right side of okay.

The best Seyvals I've ever had from Ontario were made by Vineland Estates and Stoney Ridge. Unfortunately, neither makes them anymore. Some really nice Seyval was present at NiagaraCool this year, though.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: 2005 Pelee Island Blanc de Blancs (Ontario VQA)

by Peter May » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:58 pm

Seyval & Vidal - Umm, that blend could be a winner with Seyval giving the crispness attack and acidity while Vidal fills out the middle with body
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2005 Pelee Island Blanc de Blancs (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:57 pm

Peter, I think it could be done a bit better, but then I've felt that Pelee Island's wines have been somewhat nondescript over the years. I'm sure that these were all machine-harvested/fully-mechanized wines, so to speak. Get some Seyval and Vidal and give it the full hands-on treatment from vineyard to bottle, and I'm sure that both the depth and breadth of the wines would be much more noticeable.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca