The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: `04 Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc, Chile.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN: `04 Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc, Chile.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:00 am

I am a longtime Sauvignon Blanc fan so am I ready for this months Wine of the Month! Veramonte has an excellent track record with its entire portfolio and I would think this particular wine is readily available. The Casablanca appellation is well suited for white wine production and is home for many (entry-level) wineries including Carmen and Villard. Some great reds are produced in this area too but it is the stylish sauvignon blanc we are tasting this month so here are some initial impressions.

WTN: `04 Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc--Aconcagua , Casablanca Valley.

Screwcap, 13.5%alc. Agustin Huneeus is the main man here with a good track record.

Colour. Medium straw with nice viscousity. Would appear to be a typical colour I`d say.

Nose. Lovely aromatic nose that fills the room with some delicate herbal grassy notes. Green apple, pear, and is that licorice/bubblegum? None of that pungent green pepper, olives, asparagus here! Quite minerally as it warms and breathes. Lots going on here.

Palate. My initial mouthfeel entry thoughts are dry, crisp, gooseberry and grapefruit. Not too complex but wonder about the apparent (to me) high acidity? Nice tangy finish, very expressive but a bit lean as I think it could use some tropical fruit tones to add to the enjoyment. After a couple of hours, the acidity tends to dominate but food seems to help this one along. Many will like this style however and it is what sells out of Chile. I could have liked a bit more plumpness and a better cleansing finish, I know we will find that in the Kim Crawford!

Cost was $ 16.00 Cdn.
Food helped, Chicken Scallopini with mushroom sauce, pan-fried potatoes.