The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bodegas Lurton Malbec Reserva 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Bodegas Lurton Malbec Reserva 2004

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:19 am

Valle de Uco, Mendoza.

Decanted and chilled, given the fact that it was 47 degrees C, when you factor in the humidity. I have a stone-lined, but passive, cellar and the bottle was a little warm. Ah, Ontario summers!!

Very dark purple, almost black, in the glass.

Red licorice, spice and creamy milk chocolate on the nose.

Incredible rich, lush and weighty in the mouth, blueberry and black cherry fruit, black licorice, chocolate, tarry, smoky, good acidity.

With time in the decanter the wine shut down, taking on a charred, almost burned, note and became a little hot.

An impressive wine (absent the shut down) and a steal at $13.95.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Bodegas Lurton Malbec Reserva 2004

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:39 am

I think I have seen that one in town Bruce. With all the warm weather, have been staying away from the reds but Beaujolly is calling! Have to remind Robin that Malbec is in for later this year on Wine Focus.
Thanks for the very useful notes, seem to have summed up a pretty good wine there.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:47 am

I have a question about Malbecs. Are they best drunk young or should I let them sit? I have a 2005 Los Altos (forgive me if I have the name wrong) and it seems young even if it is now over a year old. I always find younger Malbecs a bit rough. What's the rule of thumb? I realize that rules are made to be broken, but what is the rough generalization?

Bob - I agree that MAlbec should come up on Wine Focus. I can't get into Gamay. Malbec is a different story.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:07 am

James Roscoe wrote:I realize that rules are made to be broken, but what is the rough generalization?

James:

I am sure that others will wade in with their opinions, but, based on my experience, I would say that most Malbec we would see in Canada and the US would fall into the drink now or short-term (one to two year) category.

Usually I have found it is the more expensive Malbecs (above $20 Canadian) that require some further cellar aging.

What do others think?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Yeah, I think you are right there Bruce. Diplomacy here (whisper)...most of the entry Malbecs might use a year but could drink nicely on purchase. Its the big ones that need some time but it is all a bit of a minefield. I mean we taste the big ones now and say "needs time" but never seem to get back to them!! Might be a good idea to pull some of the tasting notes of the old WT 101, about 18 months ago.
Definately gonna suggest Malbec for later this year. Hello Robin!!

***** Bruce, I think it was April `05 when we tasted Malbec but hopefully Robin can confirm.