The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cline CoolClimate SonomaCoast Syrah '03..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Cline CoolClimate SonomaCoast Syrah '03..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:31 am

Tried this last night w/ dinner:
1. ClineCllrs Cool Climate Syrah SonomaCoast Lazy C Ranch (15.0%; http://www.ClineCellars.com) 2003: Very dark/black color; deep blackberry/blueberry/boysenberry/spicy/Syrah slight toasty/oak nose; soft rich/lush ripe blackberry/blueberry light oak slight earthy flavor; med. ripe/blueberry/blackberry/Syrah spicy light toasty finish w/ light tannins; a pleasant/four-square/utilitarian/working-man Syrah w/ little cold climate character; fairly priced at $15.00.
1. The Lazy C Ranch is a relatively newd vnyd of Cline in the "Stage Gulch area of the Wildcat Mtn range in the Southern end of the Sonoma Coast". As best I can tell, that's the relatively new vnyd area on the hwy between Sonoma and Petaluma, about half way. Not really cold climate like the far west Sonoma Coast, but relatively cool like Carneros.
I've been only a luke-warm fan of the Cline Syrahs in the past, finding them rather soft and soupy and simple. This Syrah sorta fits that mold; nothing really distinctive or grand in the way of Syrah and not that exciting.
That being said, I thought this was, by far, the best Cline Syrah I've ever had. It's actually a rather nice Syrah and more interesting than most. And a fairly good value at $15.00. Worth trying w/ your next burger.
Tom