The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: How very, very odd...

by Otto » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:59 pm

Duboeuf Moulin-à-Vent 2001 Flower label (i.e. the unoaked version of the generic wine) 13% 13,35€

It starts out so very nice that I almost took back all the negative things I've said about Duboeuf. There was a touch of earth, lovely sweet yet savoury fruit, perhaps a little too Pinot Noir -like (I like my Gamay to taste like Gamay) but still with all the lively raspberry aromas. The palate was a little full bodied, with the loveliest levels of acidity, and a tiny oxidative hint to the fruit à la Musar or d'Angerville, i.e. something that seems like it belongs to the wine, not something that came through e.g. mechanical cork failure. The aftertaste is nice and long. I did miss the minerality that the best Bojos can have, but who cares: this seemed like fantastic stuff. Until....

.... I had let the glass sit for a minute. I swirled and brought it up to my nose. What the f**k? It smells like a St-Julien!?!? Toasty, grainy oak, I could have sworn it was that but I thought this label doesn't see any oak. Ok, I'll admit, I'm still enjoying this but that toasty smell is odd. What else apart from oak can cause it?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: How very, very odd...

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:That toasty smell is odd. What else apart from oak can cause it?

Otto, <i>sur lies</i> treatment can certainly do it, especially in whites; and I've encountered unwooded Grenache that I would <i>swear</i> had been abused with oak within an inch of their life, so I guess a combination of ripeness and varietal character (in certain varieties) can spoof oak as well. Since Grenache and Gamay both show typical red-berry character (albeit different berries), that might be my guess.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: How very, very odd...

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:32 pm

At least you did not get a mouthful of bananas! Remember the discussion about the yeast Georges uses for the Nouveau?!
After the licorice bubblegum I found in the Veramonte SB, nothing surprises me. BTW a Rose tasting tonite downtown.