Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

George Foreman grills: Anybody tried 'em?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

George Foreman grills: Anybody tried 'em?

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:31 pm

I've always assumed these things were crappy novelty items, the kind of junk you see advertised in cheap advertorials on late-night TV with all sorts of come-ons and an 800 number, and that no serious chef would give them a minute's consideration.

Today, though, we had lunch at a tiny new fish shop where the eight-stool counter angles around a very small open kitchen and you can talk to the chef, and this guy was very, very good - simple but innovative fish dishes, and all the right moves. AND a big white Foreman grill on a side table, which he wasn't using but declared was the absolute No. 1 best tool in his kitchen.

Can this be true? The "family size" is only $39 (marked down from an alleged $89 on Amazon.com), an easy investment if it's actually good. But could it be?

Other than friend-of-a-friend stories, have any of you ever actually used one, and can you testify for either the prosecution or defense?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: George Foreman grills: Anybody tried 'em?

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm strongly for the defense, Robin. As you know, I've gone to the CIA and one of the chefs said he used one at home. I interviewed a dozen other chefs there, and seven used them.

I've got a small, really cheap version, and like it very much. I can give you some examples of successes, but it's worth $40 to try for yourself, especially when cooking for two.

In our area, you can easily find them for $10 at garage sales in perfectly good condition.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:58 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I'm strongly for the defense, Robin. As you know, I've gone to the CIA and one of the chefs said he used one at home. I interviewed a dozen other chefs there, and seven used them.

I've got a small, really cheap version, and like it very much. I can give you some examples of successes, but it's worth $40 to try for yourself, especially when cooking for two.

Thanks, Bob. That's hearty praise, and it reassures me. Heck, if I like it, I'll review it in the FoodLetter and try to get my money back by selling a bunch of 'em on Amazon.com. If I don't like it, I'm boned, but them's the breaks. :)

In our area, you can easily find them for $10 at garage sales in perfectly good condition.

Probably could here too, but call me a spendthrift, I just really rather take a new one out of the box.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:58 pm

I've got one and use it regularly. The world's best and cheapest panini maker.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:56 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I've got one and use it regularly. The world's best and cheapest panini maker.

Bingo! My use as well. The kids love the panini, so the GF grill qualifies as one of the best $10 items in our kitchen. (That's a rummage sale price, BTW.)

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:39 pm

Like Sturat, I use them for panini, but they are great for grilling chicken and hamburger. We also have a fancy Krups which is the same principle and has a thrmostat so you can cook stuff like buffalo burgers or fish at very low heat. The biggest problem with the Krups is cleanup -- once you work out a technique, it's actually very easy, but you can't disassemble the Krups.

If you're buying one of these types, check for ease of cleanup -- some of the newer ones have trough like devices that you can put in the dishwasher -- wipe down the grill itself. I do like the thermostat for slow cooking the fish and buffalo -- for many other things it doesn't matter at all.

There are 80 glowing reccos on Amazon by the way -- it was fun to read the enthusiasm there.

Neat device. :-)
Last edited by Bob Ross on Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:39 pm

I had one, but replaced it with a Cuisinart version only because the Cuisinart has removable grills/griddles, which makes cleanup easier. (and you can make pancakes) As far as cooking chicken breasts, quick burgers, and even fish (be careful not to overcook) they both work great.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:18 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:I had one, but replaced it with a Cuisinart version only because the Cuisinart has removable grills/griddles, which makes cleanup easier. (and you can make pancakes) As far as cooking chicken breasts, quick burgers, and even fish (be careful not to overcook) they both work great.

I have the Cuisinart, as well. Like you, I sold my Foreman at a garage sale because I wanted this one. Love the removable grills/griddles, mine works perfectly for pancakes, eggs, panini, fijitas, etc. Clean-up is a breeze. I love doing veggies on it, especially in winter when we don't want to go outside.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 pm

I got one over a year ago and generally just use it for burgers. In fact, when I first got it, I posted a message about it because I cooked a frozen HB patty and when I first bit into it, it literally exploded, sending the juices all over the front of my shirt. I like it.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:20 pm

My daughter brought a George Foreman grill into the house in addition to her two cats. It had been sitting there on the counter mocking me for about three months when, last week, I decided to toss some frozen burgers on it along with some thickly sliced onion. I couldn't complain. Actual grill marks and no smoke! The onions came out especially nice because I had put them on the downslope and allowed the fat to drizzle on by them. It was a snap to clean up. I'm thinking of using it to warm my flour tortillas.

However: I am still sitting here with the thing in my lap, turning and twisting it like a Rubic's Cube, in an attempt to disassemble it in order to clean it. I guess you can't, eh?