The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Villages ˜Les Champauvins" France.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Villages ˜Les Champauvins" France.

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:27 am

Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Villages ˜Les Champauvins" France. 2004 $17.99; Andrea Immer Wine Club, http://www.kysela.com/ , KYSELA PERE ET FILS, LTD., Winchester, VA importer. 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah and 10% Mourvedre. 14.5% alcohol.

Deep garnet-red color, deep hue, red fruit and spice aroma with hints of mushrooms and earth, complex fruit, spice, pepper and earth tastes, firm tannins that evolved nicely in the glass, medium mouth feel, long, complex finish with mushrooms, fruit and spice. Rich impresssion, and should age quite well as the tannins soften a bit. [Immer suggests 5 to 7 years.] 3*.

Worked surprisingly well with a basil, tomato and green bean salad and lovely Alaskan salmon. Immer's suggestion for a match with this wine:

Roasted Green Bean and Tomato Salad with Pumpkin Seeds Serves 4

1 lb. trimmed fresh green beans
1 pint small cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced crosswise into ribbons
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Toss the green beans with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread them out on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Transfer to a large mixing bowl and toss with the cherry tomatoes, basil and pumpkin seeds. Add the sherry vinegar and additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Villages ˜Les Champauvins" France.

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:46 am

I find that this name on a wine "Kysela" usually means quality. I've always seen Kysela and Son or something like that is Fran Kysela a different importer?
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:05 am

James Roscoe wrote:I find that this name on a wine "Kysela" usually means quality. I've always seen Kysela and Son or something like that is Fran Kysela a different importer?

James,
I agree. Probably buy at least a couple cases of his stuff each year. Like his roses, Picpoul and the '04 Segries (sp) is excellent at $12. There is only one Kysela
Walt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Villages ˜Les Champauvins" Fran

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 am

Bob Ross wrote:Domaine Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Villages ˜Les Champauvins" France

I love this wine ... as you likely know, Bob, it's just across the fence from Chateauneuf-du-Pape, and tastes like it. I'm surprised at the 14.5% level in a 2004, though!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:30 am

No, it's http://www.kysela.com/ , KYSELA PERE ET FILS, LTD., James. I'll edit my WTN for accuracy and to avoid confusion.

Immer wrote: " I had asked the importer Fran Kysela, who is a Master Sommelier colleague (no wonder he has such a great palate) to be sure to hold some for us, and I am so glad I did." I just copied that in without thinking really.

As you know, we've discussed how close and chatty the Andrea/Bob relationship is in the past. :-)

Sorry, and thanks, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 am

Kysela has a very pretty description of Domaine Grand Veneur on their website, Robin, with some very nice pictures. http://www.kysela.com/rhone/grandveneur.htm

It always catchs me up to realize how close CdR and CdP vineyards are. I remember driving down a road east of Beaucastel, with what appeared to be identical vineyards on either side of the road. The owner had a large billboard with arrows pointing to the two different regions. Little physical differences, big money differences. :-)

We were told the Popes drew the CdP lines based on how much wine they would consume, not entirely on quality grounds.

That 14.5% surprised me too. The wine didn't taste particularly hot but the tannins were quite robust in the early going and might well have hidden the alcohol level. Later, as the tannins softened in the glass -- still no impression of hotness.

I see that the label for this wine on the Kysela website claims 13.5% but the label in my refrigerator claims 14.5%.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:50 am

Bob, have you tried the GV Cotes du Rhone Reserve? If so, what's your impression? I assume nowhere as deep or complex, but does it have the same flavor profile? (I can get the CdR Reserve, but not the Champ au vin here).
-OW
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 am

Sorry, Oliver, I haven't.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:12 am

Bob Ross wrote:Kysela has a very pretty description of Domaine Grand Veneur on their website, Robin, with some very nice pictures. http://www.kysela.com/rhone/grandveneur.htm

Good page indeed, Bob. Actually, I had linked to that page, and to Jaume's Website, when I reported on this wine a couple of months ago:

May 19 <i>30 Second Wine Advisor</i>
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:22 am

Bob,
You should try their rose. It is one of the three I bought this year and very nice for $12. It is listed on the web site you gave.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:23 am

Nice write up, Robin. Did you happen to notice the alchol level on the bottle you reviewed?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Walt. I'll look for it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:56 am

Bob Ross wrote:Nice write up, Robin. Did you happen to notice the alchol level on the bottle you reviewed?

Bob, good question. Alas, I can't prove a negative, but inferentially, since my original notebook record does NOT list the alcohol content, I suspect that it was not 14.5%, because I almost always look, and if the level is outside the normal range, I almost invariably note that in my original notes, even if I don't mention it in the TN. (Normally, I would flag it, then mention it in the TN if it seems either notably well or poorly handled).
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:50 am

Thanks for checking, Robin. I'm sure you would have mentioned "hotness" if it was present in your bottle.

Regards, Bob