The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Chateau Pape Clement (Pessac-Leognan)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2001 Chateau Pape Clement (Pessac-Leognan)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:55 pm

This is way too soon to be opening this wine, but it is a delicious crime. Tons of red fruit but also a mineral, tobacco and cedar underpinning that is unquestionably Bordeaux. For those who thought this wine was too "international" I say try again. I thought it was not going to be to my taste (being the old world palate that I am) , but I love it and just want to give my remaining bottles a good 10 years of cellar time. This has all the goods to be monumental wine at maturity.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: TN: 2001 Chateau Pape Clement (Pessac-Leognan)

by Saina » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:31 pm

One Q if I may? How have you seen the earlier recent vintages of this? Overoaked and spoofulated? Now I've been hearing rather conflicting views on the 2001 some saying it's back to classic Bx others that it continues in modern vein. You've all made me curious to try it :)

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: 2001 Chateau Pape Clement (Pessac-Leognan)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:53 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:One Q if I may? How have you seen the earlier recent vintages of this? Overoaked and spoofulated? Now I've been hearing rather conflicting views on the 2001 some saying it's back to classic Bx others that it continues in modern vein. You've all made me curious to try it :)

Otto

I had also heard that tjis wine was overly modern. Well it's big, but it has a distinctly identifiable Bordeaux core.

Unfortunately I do not have lots of Pape Clement experience, so I cannot answer in a broader sense.
Decisions are made by those who show up