The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Jana NV Finger Lakes Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: Jana NV Finger Lakes Riesling

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:26 pm

This is the wine that Scott Harvey made in the Napa Valley from Finger Lakes grapes. There's no official vintage on the label, but it was all from the '05 harvest. 10.5% alcohol, $21.

Very light color, crystal clear. Couldn't pick up much of anything on the nose - maybe a little bit of peachy fruit. In the mouth, it's pretty austere. There's a touch of pear/peach fruit on the entry which is quickly overtaken by lemon-lime acidity. Finishes very clean with a slight chalkiness to the aftertaste. The level of acidity is attested to by a sheet of tartrate crystals on the bottom of the bottle the next morning.

Overall, I got the sense that this wine needs some time to open up. It's very refreshing but lacking in complexity and interest (for me, anyway). With a year or two in bottle, I would hope it would have more to it. One thing it does have going for it is the low alcohol - I guess you have to import grapes if you're going to make a dry wine with 10.5% alcohol in Napa! At present, the price tag is too high for my liking, but maybe worth it if some bottle age helps. Also, the right food might help this wine to shine.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: WTN: Jana NV Finger Lakes Riesling

by Thomas » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:23 pm

My word, Mike! The real thing--Riesling produced in the Finger Lakes--can be had for less money, and by your description, in better shape.

Having said that, I should also say that 2005 was an anomalous vintage--too hot for the region.

What's the residual sugar?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:19 pm

I don't think there's any residual sugar, Thomas. I think the back label states that it's dry and it sure came off that way to me.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:41 pm

I worry about the relative lack of character you describe. FLakes Rieslings are normally fragrantly aromatic, bitingly acidic, and with some minerality along with good fruit character.

I happen to know where Harvey got the grapes, and that winery is a fine Riesling producer.
Thomas P