The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Carolina--the extra, long grain wine...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Carolina--the extra, long grain wine...

by Thomas » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:21 pm

I came from Carolina today so pardon my drawl...anyone remember that ditty???

Anyway, I did come from Carolina--North Carolina. While there, I visited an old friend who used to make wine in the Finger Lakes and is now making down south where, according to him, the beach is the draw.

The wines he has produced in the past two years show great promise for the area, even if most of the grapes are grown in Georgia right now.

While there, I sampled a 2004 Viognier that was outstanding--and nearly out of stock. Thick, lush viscosity, a kind of citrus/pepper quality that truly made a pork (what else in Carolina?) in Madeira sauce skip from mere wonderful to certain voluptuousness.

Tonight I am sipping a 2004 Touriga that is on the lean side but pleasantly earthy and noticeably "Old World" like--no identifiable fruit but lots of tannic curiosity coupled with, if I may, Dourosity (if I didn't know ney better I'd say it was a Portuguese dry red, which I suppose it is supposed to emulate.)

Each of the wines came from Georgia fruit but I have to ask again exactly where they were grown because, being on a mini vacation, I did not take notes.

I made a stop at the oldest winery in North Carolina: Duplin. It was a quick stop. After reading some labels I simply wasn't interested. I know, I know, Paul B, but I simply did not want to spend the time to try to like "Magnolia" and "Raspberry something or other..."
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Re: Carolina--the extra, long grain wine...

by Thomas » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:03 pm

Sorry. I am still reeling from the nine hour drive. Forgot to mention the winery name.

Silver Coast, at Ocean Isle Beach, NC.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:24 pm

Thomas wrote:I made a stop at the oldest winery in North Carolina: Duplin. It was a quick stop. After reading some labels I simply wasn't interested. I know, I know, Paul B, but I simply did not want to spend the time to try to like "Magnolia" and "Raspberry something or other..."

You know, Thomas, with labels like those I would be inclined to pass them by as well. Although I support the growing of native grapes in the area (not sure what they used to make those wines), I have no time of day for such beverages either.

Georgia - I wonder if they grow Muscadines down there?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:31 pm

Paul,

In North Carolina it's scuppernong and muscadine. From people who live there, I've been told that the wines I by-passed are generally sugar bombs.

In Georgia, Vitis vinifera is grown, as the Viognier and Touriga prove. I also have a Babera from down south that I have yet to open. I tasted Cabernet Sauvignon and a vinifera blend, each of which were ok but oaky too--not my type.
Thomas P