Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Restaurant reccos in Paso/Atascadero?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Restaurant reccos in Paso/Atascadero?

by Jenise » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:53 pm

We'll be spending a weekend there with friends this fall. We'll be wine tasting and hubbing in and out of Atascadero. We'll be eating out lunch and dinner. Would appreciate any reccomendations.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Restaurant reccos in Paso/Atascadero?

by John Tomasso » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:06 am

Bistro Laurent in Paso - French restaurant that's been there for a million years. Good food and wine list.
Chris Cherry's place across the street, Villa Creek, is also good, if a little more rambunctious.

Sadly, the best Paso restaurant, especially from a wine geek persepective, Alloro, is no longer in business.

I don't get up there enough to have the names commited to memory, but if you walk around downtown Paso, you'll find one or two taquerias that do a fine job - the kind of place you'll recognize when you see it.
There's also a place called Panolivo - nice breads and other baked goods.

You're a short ride from Morro Bay - where the Black Cat Bistro has a good reputation. And in Cayucas, there's also Hoppe's Garden Bistro. (what is it about bistros up there, anyway?)

There's a newish, fancy schmancy hotel in Atascadero, the name of which I am blanking on right now - it'll come to me. They spent plenty upgrading the place though - they might have some decent food there. Don't know much else in Atascadero.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:06 pm

John, thanks, this is a lot of help.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

WWLL

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: In Atascadero

by WWLL » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:01 pm

Big Bubbas Bad BBQ
8050 El Camino Real, Atascadero, CA 93423
(805) 466-9866

After driving the coastal route from San Francisco, we stopped for the night in Atascadero and found this delightful place.

I had four very meaty pork ribs with corn and macaroni salad and Teresa had some very good looking tri tip with corn and green salad. The corn were absolutely heavenly.

Corkage was $5 so we had the 2004 Chateau de Trigon Cote du Rhone. A very good match.

Big Bubba advertizes they are bad to the bone. They are.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:12 pm

Jenise, in Paso, Bistro Laurant has the top rep. We too morn the passing of Alloro. We were able to get there when we were out there in early '04. We did find a pleasant surprise there at that time. It was right after the earthquake and one of the few places open besides Alloro was a very nice little place on the west side of park called Berry Hill Bistro. It was a stone's throw from ground zero, but they managed to land on their feet. We ate two meals there during that visit and loved the food, wine, and service. The second one sticks in the memory as perfectly cooked but spicy rib eyes that we washed down with AJB Zin. Fantastic. If they are still around, you might check them out.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:20 pm

Make that the EAST side of the park!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson/Paso

Rank

Just got here

Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Paso Robles

by Ron Johnson/Paso » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:07 pm

Jenise wrote:We'll be spending a weekend there with friends this fall. We'll be wine tasting and hubbing in and out of Atascadero. We'll be eating out lunch and dinner. Would appreciate any reccomendations.

Atascadero has a few places for good food.
Village Caffe has excellent Italian food
The Carlton Hotel has a good resturant and sushi bar

Vilage Caffe has a good wine selection. The Carlton wine selection is limited because it's owned by same owners as Martin and Weyick winery.