The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pineau, Pinot, QbA, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Pineau, Pinot, QbA, etc

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Sunday Betsy made tacos, she felt like something cold and light so I brought out the 2005 St. Urbans-Hof Riesling QbA.The 2001 of this was one of the best inexpensive Rieslings I've had, the subsequent vintages have been ok value but nothing to search for. I think this qualifies as one to look for- at $9 it's great QPR. Kind of exotic nose of flowers, herbs, and wet rocks. More straightforward on the palate, but with clean peach and citrus fruit. Actually plenty of RS, but the acids are so lively it doesn't come across as especially sweet. Some mineral notes on finish (which isn't especially long, but what do you expect for under $10?). B+ (A for value)

Tuesday I had leftovers from Betsy's cooking (she's in NC for a concert), with the 2004 Pernot Bourgogne Rouge. I've liked the Pernot whites, and in any case usually regard a Louis-Dressner sticker as a good reason to buy a wine. But I have trouble getting enthusiastic re this one. Prickly acidity, a real bitterness behind the black cherry flavors. The bitterness fades on day 2, but I still can't really get into this. OK for $11 Bourgogne though. B- (maybe a B since it's cheap for Burg)

Wednesday was a flat out gorgeous day, and the evening was perfect for a waterfront jazz concert. I carried the Basset Hound, soppresata, dry cured duck breast, and a tomato/feta salad (I'm dying of tomato overload, we're having dozens of cherry ripening every day); friends had a liver mousse and some cheeses. My rosé was the 2005 Clos Roche Blanche Pineau d'Aunis. Bone dry with herbs dancing over a wild strawberry base.
I really like this, but Fred found it too austere. Chacun son gout. B++

Fred brought the 2002 Ermitage Pic St Loup "St Agnes" (Coteaux du Languedoc). Very floral nose. He says its Rousanne and Ugni blanc. Decent acidity, interesting on palate, but the finish seems a little hot and short. Once again my lack of fondness for white Rhones (and their cousins) rears its ugly head. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Pineau, Pinot, QbA, etc

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Thanks for the note on the St. Urbans-Hof. I bought a few 2005s a while back and haven't got around to opening them.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:27 pm

Bruce, there is no hurry to open any 2005's from this producer, even the QBA.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:30 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Bruce, there is no hurry to open any 2005's from this producer, even the QBA.

That is mainly why I haven't opened one yet. I bought three or four and figure I will open one sometime soon just for fun and let the others gather dust in the cellar.

BTW, this purchase marked my first foray into the 2005 German Riesling marketplace. :D
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 pm

Still drinking my 04 Clos Roche Blanche, just a wonderful wine in the warm weather. Not austere, delicate with fine nuances of flavors.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi Bob,

I have already had drunk 2 bottles of 2005 St. Urbans Hof. I really like them and left one in the fridge for 4 days and it was still good! I guess the residual sugar kept it from oxidizing, plus as you suggest it is still young and could use some more cellar time to mature (I still have 2 in the cellar). Good QPR wine. Great with fried tilapia.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:29 pm

It's awfully hard to buy finger lake or northern michigan rieslings at $20 when you can get the Urbans Hof and Loosen L for $9.00. I do, but its hard.
-OW
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:23 am

On a few accasions, I have by-passed the Hof. Will pick one up next time.