Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Why I'm Glad That Joe Lieberman Lost

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Why I'm Glad That Joe Lieberman Lost

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:02 pm

From AP today, on '08 Presidential hopefuls doing the grip'n'grin at the Iowa State Fair:

A pork chop on a stick is a typical candidate favorite — after all, Iowa tops all other states in pork production. But in 2003 it was a problem for one presidential candidate: Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, an observant Jew. Barred by his religious beliefs from eating pork, he settled on a deep-fried Twinkie, taking a much-ballyhooed bite before declaring the confection "delicious."

Either he was a total opportunistic slug, in which case he deserved to lose, or he believes this, in which case he deserved to lose.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Why I'm Glad That Joe Lieberman Lost

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:03 pm

Pretty funny. Btw, would you please tell Joe that it's over, his services are no longer needed? Pack up, go home, neither party is interested any more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:52 pm

I'll bet you a porkchop that he wins!
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:57 am

Joe loses two ways. Knowing Iowa, the Twinkie was deep fried in lard.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:56 pm

Joe Lieberman is feeling the backlash of a losing presidential bid as the Veep candidate with Al Gore who subsequently lost to a dufus like Gee Dubya.

The perception is, he is too wimpy to win the presidency anyway and so, therefore, he wasn't supported for a Senatorial bid either.

My two cents...
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:39 am

Lieberman has tremendous credentials, but he has be incredibly self centered -- he ran for both the Vice Presidency and the Senate -- to the possible detriment of his party. But what he's doing now is worse. First he runs as a Democrat, then for "Connecticut". Give me a break.

The Times has it right: "But this primary is not about Mr. Lieberman's legislative record. Instead it has become a referendum on his warped version of bipartisanship, in which the never-ending war on terror becomes an excuse for silence and inaction. We endorse Ned Lamont in the Democratic primary for Senate in Connecticut."

If I lived in Connecticut, I would be working hard for Lamont.

Of course, I can still mail a check from New Jersey to Connecticut -- great idea. :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:07 am

What does any of that matter? LIEBERMAN SAID HE LIKED A DEEP FRIED TWINKIE!!!! If that isn't disqualifying for leadership, there's no such thing as "disqualifying for leadership."
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:31 am

I've heard they taste like souffles, sweet but really puffy. :-)

No first hand experience you understand.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Stuart: I know what to serve for apps the next time you come over.

Actually, since I've moved, it'll be the first time you come over here.

(Alas, no hot tub though.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:25 pm

So you've moved? Up the hill, down the street, to the next town, further out into the country, closer to civilization...what?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Jenise wrote:So you've moved? Up the hill, down the street, to the next town, further out into the country, closer to civilization...what?

Not very far away, actually. Less than a quarter mile. But as you know, a quarter mile can make a lot of difference, sometimes. :)

We downsized, primarily, from an 11 room house, swimming pool and Yanigerian hot tub to a smaller site.

Also, to be frank, I wanted to move from the county-zoned, anything-goes, what rules? environment to a more regulated environment---something I never thought this uber-liberal child of the 60s would even contemplate. So now I live in one of those 'planned communities'.

And you know what? So far, I'm loving it.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:11 pm

Hoke wrote:Stuart: I know what to serve for apps the next time you come over.

Actually, since I've moved, it'll be the first time you come over here.

(Alas, no hot tub though.)

Hoke really wanted to move to Napa. Now I signed a letter of recommendation but we couldn't find three other local residents to co sign.
I'm in complete accord with Jenise that Lieberman should get a job in the private sector and shut his mouth already.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:47 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I've heard they taste like souffles, sweet but really puffy. :-)

No first hand experience you understand.

I wish I could rremember, however since the one time I did try one was in my younger college days of wine, women, and song (not necesarilly in that order, and more often rotgut whiskey than wine) about the only way I know that I did try one is that one of my fraternity brothers has a picture on me eating it. And since this was before the days of Adobe Photoshop . . .

Still, it couldn't possibly be any worse than deep fried pickles, deep fried Snicker bars, or any of a hundred other horrors Southern Rednecks have come up with.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:36 am

Well since nobody from CT has actually posted to this thread...

Lieberman lost because he moved too far away from the moderate and liberal democrat base that is CT. Twinkies and/or wimpiness had very little to do with it. Being a pal to Dubya was the problem.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:38 pm

Hoke wrote:
Jenise wrote:So you've moved? Up the hill, down the street, to the next town, further out into the country, closer to civilization...what?

Not very far away, actually. Less than a quarter mile. But as you know, a quarter mile can make a lot of difference, sometimes. :)

We downsized, primarily, from an 11 room house, swimming pool and Yanigerian hot tub to a smaller site.

Also, to be frank, I wanted to move from the county-zoned, anything-goes, what rules? environment to a more regulated environment---something I never thought this uber-liberal child of the 60s would even contemplate. So now I live in one of those 'planned communities'.

And you know what? So far, I'm loving it.

Having a big development right up against the property line can do that to a person. Especially an inveterate nude sunbather such as yourself.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:54 pm

"Planned"

Does it have a gate, Hoke?

"Where have all the flowers gone?" :-)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:14 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:What does any of that matter? LIEBERMAN SAID HE LIKED A DEEP FRIED TWINKIE!!!! If that isn't disqualifying for leadership, there's no such thing as "disqualifying for leadership."

Lieberman already said he was supporting our esteemed President's position on the war in Iraq. Doesn't Dubya qualify as a "deep fried twinkie"? His brain certainly does.....

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 am

You made me laugh, Hoke. Downsizing, planned community...it catches up with all of us eventually, doesn't it? You're in good company. Five five years ago I'd have bet you money that I'd never live in a Security-gated community. Well, here I am! And after three years, I'm almost over being embarrassed about it. Oh, and I even have a golf cart to zoom around in--how dangerously old-farty/mainstream is that?

Anyway, congrats on your new home. May you sleep well at night.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:02 pm

Bob Ross wrote:"Planned"

Does it have a gate, Hoke?

"Where have all the flowers gone?" :-)

Ack! No gate, Bob!!! It is an 'over 55' community', with single homes, but no gates and guards.

The primary reason for the move was downsizing, with a secondary motivation to be in a more controlled environment. The county of Sonoma, where my previous house was, had no real rules against parking, noise, number of occupants per house (as in 9 people living in a three bedroom house, with said nine people consisting of three generations, and some of them not family related and transient), excess traffic, etc. The new community has CC&Rs that deal with that--without being fascist about it.

I much prefer sitting on my patio, looking at the vineyards and the Sonoma hills in the evening, sipping wine, and not having to listen to a neighbor's hip-hop music reinforced with a boom box. Call me an old fart; I can handle it. :)

The other reason, of course, was to cash in on the windfall of house prices that is available now (even with the general downturn).
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:32 pm

"Ack! No gate, Bob!!! It is an 'over 55' community', with single homes, but no gates and guards."

All good thinking in my book, Hoke. Janet and I considered that approach, but she loves building, so we built our own resort to retire in -- every toy we could think of. :-)

I asked about the gated community because we looked at a second home in Las Vegas area awhile back. Almost all of them were gated and walled, which struck me negatively. I talked to a police chief, who told me that the walls and gates don't provide much protection. In fact, by cutting down lines of sight, burglars were able to break into buildings with relative impunity.

Your approach makes lots of sense; we've spent the day moving a new shed into place to replace our first, cheaper version. Would have preferred to go hiking, frankly. But we've been really happy with our decision so far. :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Almost all of them were gated and walled, which struck me negatively.

Ditto. I bought our house in spite of it, not because of it. I'm surprised that after three years it does feel like an asset--no door to door solicitors is at the top of that list. There's a strong sense of extended family here and greater trust among neighbors, and the time or two I've accidentally left the garage door open I've breathed a sigh of relief because I know the gate DOES keep the casual marauders and lookiloo traffic away.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:From AP today, on '08 Presidential hopefuls doing the grip'n'grin at the Iowa State Fair:

A pork chop on a stick is a typical candidate favorite — after all, Iowa tops all other states in pork production. But in 2003 it was a problem for one presidential candidate: Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, an observant Jew. Barred by his religious beliefs from eating pork, he settled on a deep-fried Twinkie, taking a much-ballyhooed bite before declaring the confection "delicious."

Either he was a total opportunistic slug, in which case he deserved to lose, or he believes this, in which case he deserved to lose.

I'm kinda surprised that no one has commented on the similarities between Lieberman and a Twinkie - both kinda nondescript beige on the outside and all squishy inside.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks for your real life experiences, Jenise. I need to recalibrate my prejudices from time to time.

I'm glad you gave me an opportunity to see another side of the issue. Thanks.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:11 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Thanks for your real life experiences, Jenise. I need to recalibrate my prejudices from time to time.

I'm glad you gave me an opportunity to see another side of the issue. Thanks.

Regards, Bob

Ah, Bob, Jenise just got tired of the wine riff-raff always knocking at her door!

I've heard when you go to her place now and ring her up from the gate she takes a look at the tv picture and says, "Que? Que? The Senora is not home for now."

:)
Next