Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Downsizing redux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Downsizing redux

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:46 am

When will downsizing ever stop? I ordered my usual supply of 600 checks only to discover that, for the same price, it's now 504 checks. Yesterday I grabbed a block of shrink-wrapped cheese, thinking it was 8 oz; it's now 6 oz. It would be interesting to plot certain products, such as tuna, and extrapolate the date at which the product would contain nothing.

BTW, is there some way to change the ranking of messages on this board so the newest ones are at the top?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Downsizing redux

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:49 am

Larry Greenly wrote:BTW, is there some way to change the ranking of messages on this board so the newest ones are at the top?

Larry, it doesn't appear that there's a way to re-rank posts, I'm sorry. It does perform similarly to the default view on the old WLDG, though, with the topics containing the most recent responses bouncing to the top, so it's a format that most of us are used to. Frankly, when we decided to open this 'senior WLDG' separate from the Netscape forum, we settled on this popular, open-source PhpBB software frankly because it's relatively simple and straightforward, in contrast to Netscape. :-P
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

Okay

by Larry Greenly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:59 am

This is definitely better than the last place, but it would be nice to have the newest replies come to the top so one doesn't have to scroll all the way to the bottom. Just a suggestion.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Okay

by Jenise » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:31 am

Larry Greenly wrote:This is definitely better than the last place, but it would be nice to have the newest replies come to the top so one doesn't have to scroll all the way to the bottom. Just a suggestion.

Larry, date of original post (IOW strict chronological order) is the second criteria for ranking posts, but first is date of last response. That ensures that the most popular/active posts stay near the top. Which is consistent with the old WLDG/FLDG--we changed that system about five years ago, because the other way even highly topical posts had a shelf life of only about 48 hours, buried as they were under the avalanche of new istuff. Users there had the option their of reverting back to strict chronological, which you may have done, but the default was response date. Here, we're unable to offer a choice, but this is the ranking most people are used to reading on WLDG.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:37 am

Larry Greenly wrote:BTW, is there some way to change the ranking of messages on this board so the newest ones are at the top?

Larry - if you are talking about messages in a thread, why not scroll down to the bottom and select that choice.

There is a selection - 'Display posts from previous:' and you can choose 'Newest first'

(I'm aware we are using different views. I'm using Aluminoid skin)

PS - are you talking about checks from a bank? You have to buy them :?: :!: :?: :?:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 am

Peter May wrote:Larry - if you are talking about messages in a thread, why not scroll down to the bottom and select that choice.

There is a selection - 'Display posts from previous:' and you can choose 'Newest first'

(I'm aware we are using different views. I'm using Aluminoid skin)

I'll be damned! I hadn't noticed that. :oops:
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 am

Some other software out there has a "view first unread" option at the top - I find that extremely handy, but I don't know if that is available with this flavor.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

It worked

by Larry Greenly » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:02 am

Thanks, Peter. I had earlier tried that trick, but it didn't work. I probably didn't press the go button.

Yes, indeedy, you have to purchase bank checks. Mine had been 600/$34.95; now they're 504/$34.95.
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:09 pm

I know this is too late for you now, but for the last several times that I've needed to order checks, I have ordered them through Costco.

The price for 4 boxes of personal single part checks (200 checks per box) in a "security" pattern is $18.30 ($14.64 for executive members). One can order fancier checks, two-part checks, plus there is a variety of business-type checks as well.

Their prices are the lowest that I've found, but since so much is done online, it takes a while to go through a box of checks, at least in my experience.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:45 pm

Checks at Costco? What DON'T they sell?[/list]
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:47 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:When will downsizing ever stop? I ordered my usual supply of 600 checks only to discover that, for the same price, it's now 504 checks. Yesterday I grabbed a block of shrink-wrapped cheese, thinking it was 8 oz; it's now 6 oz. It would be interesting to plot certain products, such as tuna, and extrapolate the date at which the product would contain nothing.

BTW, is there some way to change the ranking of messages on this board so the newest ones are at the top?

The one that bothers me is yogurt. I like fruit yogurt with Grape Nuts as a late evening snack alternative to ice cream. Seems that almost all of the yogurt companies have gone from 8-oz portions to 6-oz portions. No corresponding drop in price, of course.....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:05 pm

I love Costco.

I fought it for a while especially since I was a Price Club person from back in the days when the membership card was cardboard with no picture ID. Costco came along and the only thing they had going was huge cans of Jif peanut butter and the Sinai polish dogs which had the Hebrew Natl. dogs beat.

But they finally merged. Costco has the cheapest prices on gasoline among other things and there are 3 of them along a 30 minute stretch of I-80. Speaking of gasoline, I once filled up my tank at the Vacaville Costco and later that same morning took another vehicle to the Fairfield Costco gas pumps only to discover the price was a lot more. The attendant told me that the price can vary from warehouse to warehouse depending on what the average market price is in each area.

When we refinanced our house, yep, through Costco and received $400 in Costco cash cards as a bonus.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:27 am

I'm a Costco newbie...just discoverd one relatively close to here, it looks brand spanking new, and my brother and SIL from CA have missed their Costco since they left CA for PA...seems everything was better at Costco...

I've been twice and dropped a bundle, but I won't need TP for months, I think, and I've got enough meat to cook about three weeks worth of meals!

Oh..AND they sell some nice wines...

I'm amazed.

B
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

Checks

by Larry Greenly » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:08 am

The checks I'm referring are always more expensive; they're 3/page 9-hole business checks.