The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 x 2005 Riesling (Karlsmühle + Haag)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2 x 2005 Riesling (Karlsmühle + Haag)

by Saina » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:20 pm

First impressions: both opened today as such young Riesling keeps well open and will be drunk over a couple days.

2005 Weingut Karlsmühle Kaseler Nies'chen Riesling Kabinett 9,5%

Was brilliant! Precice, mineral and pure with enough fruit (for those who like that sort of suspect stuff ;) ) and enough acids for me! At 9,5% it isn't quite as light as I would have thought a Kab to be, but there is the clarity and intensity I hope for. And I guess 9,5% isn't too high for a Kab - at least not with those monstrous 12% Kabs from 03 still in memory! It will be fascinating to see how this changes over a couple days.

2005 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett Trocken 11,5%

Wasn't quite so brilliant. It's a wine I can appreciate intellectually but it just lacks charm. There are all the true Riesling flavours and there is purity of Rieslingfruit TM, but it just lacks the charm that I suspect a few more grams of RS and a few less % abv would give it. Very good, if you like Trockens. But frankly, tonight at least, I feel that it's a dashed shame to use the precious Juffer for this.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2 x 2005 Riesling (Karlsmühle + Haag)

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Just had the '05 Steffes Kaseler Nies'chen Spatlese and loved it quite a bit too (posted a few threads down). I just loved the purity. I was told that Nies'chen means "little sneezes". I'll have to look for the Karlsmühle kab!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Just had the '05 Steffes Kaseler Nies'chen Spatlese and loved it quite a bit too (posted a few threads down). I just loved the purity. I was told that Nies'chen means "little sneezes". I'll have to look for the Karlsmühle kab!

Sounds nice! Not a producer I've ever tried. Must get my hands on them. Have you been playing around with oxygen and 05s? I now have these wines open for the second day and they are performing bloody brilliantly!

I have to change my opinion a little on the Haag. It is opening up well tonight: wonderful purity and balance, a hint of steel, powerful yet elegant and understated. It still does lack charm, but as it's otherwise a fine drink I'll forgive that. By far the best M-S-R Trocken I've had. Bravo.

The Karlsmühle hasn't changed so much over night. The sherbetty sweetness is more balanced into the mineral and acidic structure but the components are all like yesterday. Lovely wine this one!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:13 pm

The only '05's I've had, Otto, have been at tastings so I havent been able to play with having them open overnight..or two..or three. It's good to hear that they are developing so well. I bought a few bottles of the Steffes (full name is Weingut Gebrüder Steffes) so I'll be opening soon.