The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Is it bad wine mojo....?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Is it bad wine mojo....?

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:40 pm

to even mention that I have not had a corked bottle out of the last ~30 bottles I've opened. Not bad for a guy who historically has averaged 8% poopy-ca-ca TCA wines. Just wondering. :lol:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Is it bad wine mojo....?

by Sam Platt » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:39 pm

You've done it now Mr. Pear Juice! You have mocked the cork Gods and they will make you pay. Prepare for a run of moldy cardboard with a dash of wet dog. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:13 am

Sam Platt wrote:You've done it now Mr. Pear Juice! You have mocked the cork Gods and they will make you pay. Prepare for a run of moldy cardboard with a dash of wet dog. :)

Sam,
You're probably right. While I average around 8% TCA, the occurrences, or lack thereof, seem to run in streaks. It does seem when I run across a corker that my sensitivity seems heightened for a period of time. Strange indeed, but that's my story and I'm stinkin' to it.
Redwinger
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:47 am

Redwinger wrote:
Sam Platt wrote:You've done it now Mr. Pear Juice! You have mocked the cork Gods and they will make you pay. Prepare for a run of moldy cardboard with a dash of wet dog. :)

Sam,
You're probably right. While I average around 8% TCA, the occurrences, or lack thereof, seem to run in streaks. It does seem when I run across a corker that my sensitivity seems heightened for a period of time. Strange indeed, but that's my story and I'm stinkin' to it.
Redwinger

Coincidentally, I haven't run into one in some time, either (of course, I've been drinking quite a few screw-capped whites this summer, too). Wanna bet what I find when I open the Keller chard? :oops:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:34 am

With the hot weather we have been drinking more Kiwi SB and the screwcaps are a blessing.

I refuse to contemplate when the last corked bottle was since as soon as I figure out that it has been a while we are doomed for a run of them!

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am

Of the hundreds of bottles we've consumed only eleven have been obviously corked. Nine of those eleven corked bottles were Rieslings. We opened three corked Rieslings over the course of a single week! Since they were from different vintners, and purchased from different shops at different times I began to worry that my cellar was somehow tainted. In the end it was just a run of bad luck.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Coincidentally, I haven't run into one in some time, either (of course, I've been drinking quite a few screw-capped whites this summer, too). Wanna bet what I find when I open the Keller chard? :oops:
Mark Lipton

Mark,
If that Keller is corked don't even think about returning it. That place, and especially the old curmudgeon who works there part time, are tough to deal with.
BTW, your Keller is the Ora del Plata. If you see the Keller La Cruz Vineyard Chard for a few dollars more, just run in the other direction. Not completely awful, but in a style I doubt you would enjoy.
BIll