The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1990 Fontanafredda Barolo di Serralunga

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: 1990 Fontanafredda Barolo di Serralunga

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:35 pm

1990 Fontanafredda Barolo di Serralunga
Brick red coloring. Initial nose is a bit musty but after an hour the truffle/dried roses/dried orange peel/tar emerges. Still some dark fruit in the flavor with controlled acidity and finely integrated tannins. Given that this wine spent most of it’s life in questionable storage conditions (in a fairly warm retail shop), it’s showing some maturity. It's not the most awe inspiring barolo but is extremely enjoyable (plus I got it for cheap). A great match with crucolo and taleggio cheeses and salami.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: 1990 Fontanafredda Barolo di Serralunga

by Hoke » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:24 pm

I was selling the Fontanfredda in the US when the 1990 came out, and I can tell you that it had the makings of a really good wine. Had a distressing amount of bottle variation, and even more cork taint problems, but them what picked up the FF in the bargain bins got more good wine than bad.

But the real winners were the single vineyard designate Barolos from Fontanafredda. They were awesome (especially the La Rosa).
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 1990 Fontanafredda Barolo di Serralunga

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:58 am

Hoke, I've read that FF had some serious quality control issues through the 80's and early 90's. This was my first wine from FF and I'd love to find some of the vineyard specific stuff you mentioned.