The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: EdmundsStJohn Roussanne 2004...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: EdmundsStJohn Roussanne 2004...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:45 am

Having some more on the way, thought I'd try this w/ dinner:
1. EdmundsStJohn Roussanne TablasCreekVnyd/PasoRobles (14.5%; http://www.EdmundsStJohn.com) 2004: Med.yellow color; lovely very fragrant/perfumed some chalky/minerally very floral/honeysuckle/Roussanne almost Riesling-like/pineapply nose; big/rich/lush tart very minerally/chalky very floral/honeyed/honeysuckle bit stoney/earthy spicy big flavor; very long/lingering chalky/minerally ripe/floral/honeysuckle finish; a beautiful/interesting example of Roussanne. $30.00
1. I had this wine when it was first released and was mightly impressed. It had a richness and power to it but also an underlying tart/hard/austere character that suggested it would age for quite a long time. That hard/austere character is slipping away and the wine seems to be developing more aromatics and lushness. Yet it still has a razor-sharp acidity to it, despite the richness and ripeness. I've been mightly impressed w/ how some/many of Steve's whites age and see no reason that this Roussanne won't go for 10 yrs or longer. Amazingly good example of Calif Roussanne.
Tom