Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Restaurant reccomendations: Shanghai and Beijing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Restaurant reccomendations: Shanghai and Beijing

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:22 am

Will be travelling thereabouts soon and would appreciate any recommendations for great food, be it hole in the wall joints or grand dining.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Restaurant reccomendations: Shanghai and Beijing

by Saina » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:11 pm

Jenise, never been to China but I took the liberty of forwarding this message to a friend who has worked there for a while. I hope he responds.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 pm

Otto, thanks, that's so good of you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:20 pm

I've forwarded your note to a friend, Graham Radstone, who is married to a woman from Shanghai -- he's been full of great suggestions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:08 pm

Bob, thanks! That's very kind. Oh, and just in case the what part of town are you in thing comes up, we'll be staying at the Westin in old Shanghai and the Grand Hyatt off Tiannamen Square in Beijing.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:15 pm

I spoke with Graham, Jenise, and he will be delighted to help. I've sent a introductory email to you both. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:05 pm

Jenise, If you get tired of the local fare there is actually a pretty good German restaurant in Shanghai. It's called Pulaner Brauhaus (I think) and it's in the Luwan district. Good food and live music.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

WWLL

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: From my 2005 trip to Shanghai

by WWLL » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:59 pm

** Restaurant Xin Ji Shi, Shanghai

When in Shanghai one should dine on Shanghaiese cuisine. Five of us went to Xin Ji Shi in the fashionable Xin Tian Di area. Xin = new, Tian = heaven, Di = earth. This area has many types of foreign restaurants. Xin Ji Shi means new luck. Any restaurants that can operate successfully in the disparate political climates of China, Hong Kong and Taiwan must be doing something right. The decor is that of a couple hundred years ago, complete with a high thread hold which used to indicate the status of the household.

We had

- Chicken soup. A whole chicken is put in a tall clay pot and the pot is steamed for hours. The flavor of the soup is intense and the chicken very tender.

- A mound of chilies hiding chunks of chicken and jumbo shrimp. Interesting presentation and fun digging for the morsels.

- Tofu stew, not very good.

- Shrimp cooked in hot oil. This was a sub par presentation of this signature Shanghai dish.

- Greens, the serving was so small I never got to try it.

- Tung Por Pork. Named for one of the leading poets in China, this is chunks of fatty and lean pork stewed for a long time to marry the flavors. It was everyone's favorite.

A good meal with the total damage coming to only RMB 557 (US$67.84).