The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's the craziest wine ? you've ever answered?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

What's the craziest wine ? you've ever answered?

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:14 am

As I was retelling my story earlier today, I was thinking to myself I have to ask some other people what their answer would be. ITB people like myslef get a lot of weird questions but this one almost threw me, and I thought I had heard them all.

A guy came in the store one day and asked "What wine goes best with sex?" He asked another employee, and I wasn't paying much attention, but the other employee just drew a blank in shock. So he looked ta me and asked me (trying not to laugh). I just looked up and matter-of-factly said "Chambolle-Muisgny Les Amoureuses", "the Lovers". The guy said something along the lines of "okay, makes sense" walked out with a $135 bottle of wine with no further questions and that was it.

You don't get that every day.

[I see we're back to not having my name showing. One of the janitors want to tell me how I make my name appear?]
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Pre-thread Message

by Randy Buckner » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:31 am

This is gospel true and X-rated. I have a rather "loose" young lady patient with tattoos and piercings everywhere. She asked me if it would hurt her boyfriend to drink Champagne from her Australia (you know -- down under).
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

Pre-thread Message

by François Audouze » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:08 am

The craziest name for a wine (which is a true name) is a wine made by François Dagueneau who named one of his wine, in reaction to the pompous names that are created here and there :

"quintessence de mes roustons". In slang, rouston means balls.

So it is "quintessence of my balls".

Not bad !!!
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Pre-thread Message

by David Lole » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:15 am

Not so much a question, but a statement that answered a question at a wine club dinner a while back. The president asked a local winemaker for his thoughts on a masked wine in the glasses of the large group of members and their guests in attendance. After pointing out some of the numerous faults with the wine in question, the respected identity concluded with the remark "Whoever made this, should be shot!". Without much ado, the president called upon wine master on the night to unmask the wine. It was, indeed, the 1991 Reserve Chardonnay made by the very winemaker who had just returned to his seat.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Pre-thread Message

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:49 am

David,

Reminds me of my own infamous "If this is not a premier cru Meursault I will quit my job". [the wine was Staglin rutherford Chardonnay]
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: What's the craziest wine ? you've ever answered?

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:45 am

blanctrash wrote:[I see we're back to not having my name showing. One of the janitors want to tell me how I make my name appear?]

Alan, I'll get back to your question later ... as you might imagine, as an Internet wine-question guy, I get some lulus, but I just got up, and my brain isn't working yet. :)

Your name: The system is simple, so what you entered when you registered is what you got. You may be able to change it yourself by going to "Profile" and making the change. Or I can change it for you, but I'll hold off on doing that until you respond, because (I assume) when I change it, this will also change your login username, so you'll need to know the change has happened so you won't be inadvertently locked out. Let me know when you've seen this, and once you give the go-ahead, I'll change it promptly.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Pre-thread Message

by Alan Uchrinscko » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:11 am

Done. I changed it. I never use my name as a login cause most places don't accept something with spaces...
Alan Uchrinscko
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Pre-thread Message

by Jenise » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:35 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:This is gospel true and X-rated. I have a rather "loose" young lady patient with tattoos and piercings everywhere. She asked me if it would hurt her boyfriend to drink Champagne from her Australia (you know -- down under).

And did you laugh out loud?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Pre-thread Message

by Randy Buckner » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:47 pm

I knew I could kid with her, so I asked her if she knew the difference between love and lust? 'nuf said!
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Pre-thread Message

by Sam Platt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:50 pm

More like he mumbled something about "having to examine it".

He should have said, "From the look of things Dom Perignon's been there many times already". :)

Sam
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

craziest wine statement

by JC (NC) » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:06 pm

A friend who was switching over from distributing beer to distributing wine (for a very large company) told me that the Pinot Grigio was one of their more popular brands. I informed him politely that Pinot Grigio is a grape variety--not a brand of wine. Fortunately, this friend had acquaintances in the different grocery stores along his route who could probably help in his wine education until he learned the ropes.
no avatar
User

MarkE

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:45 am

Pre-thread Message

by MarkE » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:

I knew I could kid with her, so I asked her if she knew the difference between love and lust? 'nuf said!

I was expecting you to tell her about the shrimp on the barbie :twisted:
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Pre-thread Message

by JoePerry » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:30 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:This is gospel true and X-rated. I have a rather "loose" young lady patient with tattoos and piercings everywhere. She asked me if it would hurt her boyfriend to drink Champagne from her Australia (you know -- down under).

Carbonated wine? Yikes, talk about air embolus! :shock:

Besides, I'm sure something more bready like Cuvee Winston Churchill would have been more appropriate.
no avatar
User

JeanF

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

Pre-thread Message

by JeanF » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:55 am

An older "upper-class" couple (he in suit - she wearing her furcoat) in a posh food and beverage shop (where you can get Krug, iranian caviar, etc. - just to situate):

He talks: "look, they have an italian wine here - who is it made by? .... ah: chianti - I have had already wines from this maker, I visited him once in my youth"

Her to him: "darling, they seem to sell more wines from this producer - look and this one must very good. It has a number on the label - 1998"

True story.

Idiocy and arrogance is class-less.
www.moselfinewines.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Pre-thread Message

by Jenise » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:00 pm

The Fish wrote:this one must very good. It has a number on the label - 1998"

That's priceless, Jean; I'll be re-telling your story.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov