The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 ZD Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2001 ZD Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:16 pm

14.5% alcohol. I paid $30 or less several years ago and popped for two bottles.
Back label: "This Cabernet Sauvignon is a blend of Napa Valley vineyards that produce low-yielding, intensely favored fruit. Gentle punching during fermentation and small barrel aging has contributed to maximize varietal character while maintaining a soft balance."

Purple-red color, dense in the center, thinning to a crimson rim. Blackberry fruit and pine needles on the nose; blackberries and other dark fruits on the palate. Very juicy without noticeable tannins. My bottles may have matured early due to passive storage at about 70 degrees F. but it certainly seems fully ready to drink.

I had two glasses with a takeout spaghetti and meat sauce dinner from a church youth fundraiser. It was quite delicious with the meat sauce and garlic bread. I also sampled the ZD Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve from 2001 at a California barrel tasting at the Watergate Hotel. I was even more impressed with the reserve C.S. but found it to be beyond my budget so ordered 2 bottles of the regular. I wish I had a half-case of it. Is this a Burgundy drinker's Cabernet? Possibly. ZD stands for zero defects (among other things such as winemakers' names) and I find it hard to find any defects in this wine.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

wine country,sonoma county CA

Re: WTN: 2001 ZD Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley

by Carlo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:20 pm

Did it mentioned if it was filtered ?
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:34 pm

I didn't notice on the bottle and it doesn't say on the ZD website.
The website does explain that they aim for a balanced wine without aggressive tannins. They claim, however, that the Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve will live for a number of years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:13 pm

Is this a Burgundy drinker's Cabernet? Possibly.

Nice observation; this must explain why I've always rather liked ZD wines. Good acidity, not too heavy, nicely defined. I saw a bottle of this recently and wondered whether I would still like it--you've provided the right kind of assurance. Thanks!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:22 pm

You're welcome. Let us know how you like it, Jenise, if you go ahead and purchase it. Let's hope they haven't changed their style since the 2001.