The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike for this weekend!! The `02 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble, Argentina.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Open Mike for this weekend!! The `02 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble, Argenti

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:54 am

The `02 Masi Tupungato 24 hours later!

Goodness me quite a developement after spending the night in a half bottle in the kitchen fridge.."Whats this half bottle of Late Harvest Sinfandel doing here?"....."its not sinfandel, its Masi in a Sin split" Gotta show who`s boss forumites!!

The nose has developed some earthy tones and is still quite intense. Very much alive! Hint of tobacco too I`d say. On the palate, I am now getting the raisiny tones and a lot more blackberry than last night. I shared the remainder of the split with the owner of my fav. winestore and he thought the `02 was the best vintage to come out of this project. Needless to say I respect his opinion. Bob McDonald was there too and he was very impressed. Always good to chat with a fellow forumite!! He seemed to like the dry style and raved over some chocolate tones!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:09 am

Ian, I think that Musar on a future Open Mike is a great idea. There will sure be some interest in that weekend.
I think Mike is gonna rock here, next week is spoken for already. Otto wants to do a Drouhin(see Wine Focus). Which vintage are you thinking off?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:48 am

Bob
95 would be my choice, as we have a few bottles (also have 97-99, but I'm currently also on the lookout for both 88 and 91). Flexible though and only the magnum of the 95 is set aside for a "rainy day". I think it would be a great option for open mike, especially with a decent run at it to allow people to acquire and/or let it settle upright (it does tend to throw a sediment).

It's also a wine that easily elicits opinions and has amazed me on more than one occasion how many non-wine buffs take to it straight away (come to think of it, that happened to me many a year ago :oops: )

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

Re: Open Mike for this weekend!! The `02 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble, Argentina.

by Ian Sutton » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Bob

My take on the 03 - opened about 45 minutes ago

2003 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble Doppia Fermentazione La Arboleda (Argentina, Mendoza) 10/08/2006
Relatively advanced violet-purple colour of reasonable depth, starting to show a fraction of age at the rim. On the nose theres violets as well as subtle dark fruits and a touch of smoky spice with possibly a hint of milk chocolate. Overall a relatively complex and balanced nose.

The initial taste sees a reappearance violets, plus a subtle mix of red/black fruits, though this gives way to quite prominent acidity and a more dominant taste of (slightly sour) cherry. Texturally it's medium bodied and there's a relatively supple mouthfeel. Tannins are light and intially hardly noticeable and the finish is moderate with just a touch of bitterness at the end. Not sure of any oak treatment, but I'm sure there's some smoky oak in there. I noticed quite a sudden shift from the initial fruit, to the acidity kicking in, which does detract.

Drinking well now, not sure whether cellaring will give this wine much more. A good wine offering decent value, but perhaps not in the same class as the 2000. I suspect this could be a fairly flexible wine with food.

regards

Ian

footnote: remaining half bottle decanted into the ever-present empty half and re-corked. Will re-visit in a day or two, hopefully to join in with anyone else who manages to get one or something similar.

Re-taste
Unsurprisingly little change in colour. Tonight the nose is perhaps a little more straightforward, with a little spice and relatively sweet red-fruits (more so than black) and I think the chocolate is there as are the violets, though in a reversal the fruit is more dominant tonight.

There seems to be a little more integration on the palate tonight though the notes from the previous night still seem pretty close (and that oak is there and to be critical, I think it stands out slightly). I also reckon the bitterness is just fractionally advanced on the previous night, though it's no more dominant than many of the Italian wines I enjoy. Bob's comments have encouraged me to look at the sweet/dryness of the finish and yes it's pretty dry for the style. Though the initial/mid palate fruit is pleasantly sweet, the finish is clearly dry.

So it doesn't seem to have moved too much, though I don't see this as any sign of great longevity, more I think I decanted it carefully and left little headspace!

Overall impressions. This was in keeping with the previous 2003 I tried (just a quick taste at a friends) which confirms 2003 is not up to the quality of the 2000 that hooked us. It's not bad though, and actually still pretty fair value. It also sounds like the 2002 is also superior (good because we have 2 of the corbec 2002's, less so because we also have a 2003 corbec). I hope this is just vintage variation rather than the conversion of an interesting and well executed experiment into just another stretched brand (maybe I read too much into the change of label, from simple, stylish handwritten to something altogether less interesting). I look forward to Bob's take on the 2004 to give a clue as to which route this wine is taking.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:42 am

Ian, your overnight observations are not far off mine are they? I was impressed with the developement of your wine, Just goes to show what a difference 24 hrs can make. For myself, the `02 really opened up and at the end (after posting) we found some chocolate. I will open the `04 tomorrow, tonite was just too busy at the Grill downtown. However I did get a chance to retaste a Malbec I like so here goes, again for comparision sake!!

TN: `03 Malbec Reserva--Bodegas Nieto Senetiner (Mendoza).

A real up and coming winery according to writer Tom Stevenson in his book The Wine Report `04. 14% alc, opened half hour and served in poor light and a busy lounge! Crimson tones on the rim, medium intense centre. Nose shows some oak, spice, sweet black fruits and raspberry. On the palate, pretty soft for this varietal (where is the bumph?). Some strawberry, jammyand boysenberry after a while. The acidity level would appear to be a tad low and I expected more body and grip. This is not a very good example of Malbec I think but fair to post here. Is this a reflection of the vintage? I have the newer `04 handy, must try soon.

Hopefully someone out there has some Malbec notes from the weekend?

*** these notes pretty well reflect what I thought on opening a previous bottle last year. Not much change eh. We will see what the `04 has going for it. I hope we can persuade Robin to have Malbec some time soon on Wine Focus? Cheers, off to read some Malbec notes elsewhere!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:03 am

Late Sunday night and I have just opened the `04. Detailed tasting notes in the morning but this is showing a hint of fruit ripeness that was not detected in the other 2 vintages. Is this a refection of the vintage? Does have a slight raisiny character but will be interesting to try again on Monday.

Notes on three vintages, not bad eh.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:41 am

WTN: '03 El Peral Reserva

The specific wine being tasted seemed somewhat odd and with my problem with big new world wines I decided to open a wine from my cellar that I have been holding for 18 months. Originally tasted El Peral at an Argentine malbec tasting and it was very tannic and not all that great but the importer convinced me it just needed a couple of years. He was right and I was impressed. This was a powerful wine but ballanced and clean. Even though it was very big, it was soft on the palate with dark cherry and licorice flavors and briary on the finish. Gone were the tannins and not present was the over-the-top fruit that I was expecting. It went great with grilled burgers and even got 2 thumbs up from my wife, a hard thing for a new world wine to get. The wine was a blend of malbec, merlot and cabernet but mostly malbec. It is from Tupungato, a region about 55 miles south of Mendoza and 3500 ft with hot days and cool nights. The alcohol was 14% but not obvious on the palate. Overall a very nice wine.

From the bloody pulpit: I think Argentina is capable of making great malbec and with their climate probably better than what is being done in France. The issue is can they keep their hands off of severe oak and overipe fruit. I hope so.
Walt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:33 am

wrcstl wrote:From the bloody pulpit: I think Argentina is capable of making great malbec and with their climate probably better than what is being done in France. The issue is can they keep their hands off of severe oak and overipe fruit. I hope so.
Walt

Walt
Thanks for the note. I think you'd better steer clear of their chardonnays then as I think they have a WORSE problem with oak and overripeness than the reds. For me Argentina has produced a good few (red) wines I've enjoyed, though more in the US$15-30 range (compared to Chile which is great value at US$10-20, but lacks the structure needed at the higher prices). There are a few over-ambitious producers and recent financial problems won't have helped, but I'm still pretty confident they'll establish a strong reputation centred on Malbec (& blends).
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Walt, who is the US importer? I'm having a dickens of a time finding the 02 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble. Lots of Masi; none from Argentina.

Thanks. Bob
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Walt, who is the US importer? I'm having a dickens of a time finding the 02 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble. Lots of Masi; none from Argentina.

Thanks. Bob

Bob,
I am afraid you won't find this wine. Pinacle is a small distributor/importer that specializes in Argentina and OZ plus some other stuff. He brought this in from Argentina but only for local sales. It is a relatively small winery. I have always struggled with malbec, love the flavors but most is too over-the-top for my tastes. I purchased a $10 malbec for our daughter's wedding reception last year that worked well. May not like sitting down to a nice meal with many malbecs but is certainly can be a crowd pleaser.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:56 am

Well, forumites, the Masi Tupungato saga is about to close and thanks for all the support on this past weekends Open Mike. This has been a lot of fun and with this tasting of the `04 I am posting now, we have 3 different vintages to read through.

TN: `04 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble.

This is a strange one and I am wondering about the vintage conditions in `04. Help required!! It is the latest vintage but does not seem too typical when one reads the tasting notes on the preceding `02 and `03.

Colour. Very dark ruby w. faded purple tones on the rim. Malbec influence I guess.

Nose Spice, red berries, oak, some licorice(?). Seems a tad softer than the others.

Palate. Initial feeling on entry is soft tannins, puckery finish, good length and just a brief hint of some ripe forward blackberry. Ripe?? Usually this is dry right through to the finish and at this early stage does not have much raisiny feel about it. Certainly not bitter in its youth, I`d say put away but do not expect an `02.
Nice acidity and balance not bad but theres something going on here. I do not get the 'amarone' feel about this one. Know what I mean?

****after 24 hrs, nose shows some volutility. Not much has changed on the palate, hint of some (min) jammyness but still oaky. Aagh, here is some blackberry. Could be a bit more integrated than last night and seems better balanced. I don`t know, anyone else wanna try this one?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:07 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Well, forumites, the Masi Tupungato saga is about to close and thanks for all the support on this past weekends Open Mike. This has been a lot of fun and with this tasting of the `04 I am posting now, we have 3 different vintages to read through.

TN: `04 Masi Tupungato Passo Doble.

This is a strange one and I am wondering about the vintage conditions in `04. Help required!! It is the latest vintage but does not seem too typical when one reads the tasting notes on the preceding `02 and `03.

Colour. Very dark ruby w. faded purple tones on the rim. Malbec influence I guess.

Nose Spice, red berries, oak, some licorice(?). Seems a tad softer than the others.

Palate. Initial feeling on entry is soft tannins, puckery finish, good length and just a brief hint of some ripe forward blackberry. Ripe?? Usually this is dry right through to the finish and at this early stage does not have much raisiny feel about it. Certainly not bitter in its youth, I`d say put away but do not expect an `02.
Nice acidity and balance not bad but theres something going on here. I do not get the 'amarone' feel about this one. Know what I mean?

****after 24 hrs, nose shows some volutility. Not much has changed on the palate, hint of some (min) jammyness but still oaky. Aagh, here is some blackberry. Could be a bit more integrated than last night and seems better balanced. I don`t know, anyone else wanna try this one?

Bob
I think the alcohol % shows that although made in Amarone style, this doesn't need to be high alc with prune/raisin fruit. FWIW I think that's fine, as it gives a different twist (I must try the Campofiorin sometime to see if that's nearer in style to this).
Michelle reckons the Passo Doble's might need 4-5 years to show their best, though I tended to think 2-3 was right. On the strength of these tastings I suspect it's worth testing her theory out (and Michelle is clear that that's what will happen with our remaining 04!).

p.s. Thanks for dragging me to the "open mike", I should do some others when I have a suitable wine in the stash.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Yeah, thanks for being here on this side of the pond!! I think this Open Mike is a good idea and will be successful. We are tasting Drouhin this weekend, bollyjolly, and then we will see about next week. I am sure there are plans in the works!! Hint hint, wink wink. Robin is spot on, thinking that 2 people alone can have a good time here tasting a certain wine, and there is no reason why two Open Mikes or whatever cannot go on at the same time.
Wonder how many forumites kept up with this one? Guess there are some wines out there that will draw more attention, how about a Barolo? Guess the price of the wine is an issue too plus the availability naturally.

***OK, 755 views up till now. That is pretty good eh. There has to be a wine out there that will really keep the posts coming in!!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:52 pm

Bob
As long as we stretch to Langhe Nebbiolo or even a US version, then I think a Barolo/Barbaresco or Nebbiolo night be a good idea with enough potential. Probably the obvious thought for me would be something from the Produttori del Barbaresco, who usually offer decent QPR and should be available. I like the idea. Michelle (aka "the lady Barolo") would approve!
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:32 pm

I like the name. Should be a hit with ballroom dancers.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:38 pm

As long as we stretch to Langhe Nebbiolo or even a US version, then I think a Barolo/Barbaresco or Nebbiolo night be a good idea with enough potential. Probably the obvious thought for me would be something from the Produttori del Barbaresco, who usually offer decent QPR and should be available. I like the idea. Michelle (aka "the lady Barolo") would approve!
regards
Ian

Ian,
I like this idea, either a Barbaresco of a specific year, say '99 or '00 or Produttori del Barbaresco from any year. I have a '99 which is waiting a few more years to open but would be willing to sacrifice to the wine gods. I you get too specific it makes it hard to find the wine unless it is in your cellar.
Walt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:39 pm

wrcstl wrote:
regards
Ian

Ian,
I like this idea, either a Barbaresco of a specific year, say '99 or '00 or Produttori del Barbaresco from any year. I have a '99 which is waiting a few more years to open but would be willing to sacrifice to the wine gods. I you get too specific it makes it hard to find the wine unless it is in your cellar.
Walt

Walt
I agree on the risk of being specific. The other related issue is getting something that makes it to NZ, US, Finland, UK and Canada (amongst others - excuse me for not listing all).

Perhaps if we had a secure area, we could share our cellar content lists? I must admit to being fairly cautious about disclosing my (even my meagre) collection on the web and don't make my list public on cellartracker.

Perhaps a better option would be to email Robin (or his appointed representative) a list of wines we've each got lined up for the next year/couple of years. Whatever there's a good match on goes into the open mike plans. Just my ramblings!
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:17 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Walt
I agree on the risk of being specific. The other related issue is getting something that makes it to NZ, US, Finland, UK and Canada (amongst others - excuse me for not listing all).

Perhaps if we had a secure area, we could share our cellar content lists? I must admit to being fairly cautious about disclosing my (even my meagre) collection on the web and don't make my list public on cellartracker.

Ian,
I have no problem sharing what is in my cellar but I have a custom developed program and it is not easy to share plus I don't think it is really necessary. Pick a broad enough theme and if you have a wine or can buy the wine fine; if not you can participate the next week. I want to put my vote in for Barbaresco, either a specific vintage of any producer or any year of a specific producer. I have mixed feelings about nebbiolo. Have some '89, '90 and '96 Barolo and some '96 and '99 Barbaresco but just haven't spent that much time with them. I am a Bordeaux guy but would love to try a tasting and sharing TNs on Nebbiolo. You are the man; throw the gantlet down and declare an open mike. I will be there.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Walt and Ian, I think you are both on the ball with this! Open Mike is drawing a lot of views daily and we have just had a successful run at the Masi. This Mike idea is a good one and I, for one, am keen to participate as much as possible. I like the idea of Barbaresco, amongst others, something for me to learn there.
I think that once there is a strong core of supporters/participants wanting to take part, a private message will soon get the thing going and it grows from there. Ian and I set up the Masi idea 4 days before we announced it and I was hoping no-one would step up with another idea!! Mind you, two Open Mikes at the same time is not a problem, each one will have its own interest. Emailing Robin and letting him know what is being planned is a good idea I think and lets admit it, throwing around a few hints is already going on.
Broad enough theme? That is something one has to pay attention to I believe and the cost too. We all have good cellars (I think?) and a readily available wine will get newbies more involved. I do not mind going out and buying something if the wine subject sounds interesting. So yup, lets keep in touch and figure it out. Right now, I am trying to think of a wine subject for next month`s Netscape WOTM. Thinking red and maybe Cote de Rhone and California Syrah? There is not a lot of participation over there but it will come in time and Bob Ross has posted a fair number of tasting notes (as always).
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Walt and Ian, I think you are both on the ball with this! Open Mike is drawing a lot of views daily and we have just had a successful run at the Masi. This Mike idea is a good one and I, for one, am keen to participate as much as possible. I like the idea of Barbaresco, amongst others, something for me to learn there.
I think that once there is a strong core of supporters/participants wanting to take part, a private message will soon get the thing going and it grows from there. Ian and I set up the Masi idea 4 days before we announced it and I was hoping no-one would step up with another idea!! Mind you, two Open Mikes at the same time is not a problem, each one will have its own interest. Emailing Robin and letting him know what is being planned is a good idea I think and lets admit it, throwing around a few hints is already going on.
Broad enough theme? That is something one has to pay attention to I believe and the cost too. We all have good cellars (I think?) and a readily available wine will get newbies more involved. I do not mind going out and buying something if the wine subject sounds interesting. So yup, lets keep in touch and figure it out. Right now, I am trying to think of a wine subject for next month`s Netscape WOTM. Thinking red and maybe Cote de Rhone and California Syrah? There is not a lot of participation over there but it will come in time and Bob Ross has posted a fair number of tasting notes (as always).

Bob, I agree

Ian, you are up. Build it and they will come. :D

Walt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:23 pm

Acknowledged.
8)
Will probably leave it a couple of weeks in case others have open mike ideas lined up, but maybe aim for 1st weekend in sept? If anyones, got any preferences for wine/vintage, then either post here or pm me details. FWIW we've got a few Barolo's (96-99 inclusive) and a few P. del Barbaresco single vineyard bottlings (96, 99 & 00). Also a Langhe Nebbiolo or two (not sure which vintage). I suspect all but the Langhe's will need a decant (described by an Italian wine shop owner as the time needed for a Lady to have a leisurely shower, get changed and made-up, whilst the meal is being cooked and wine opening up - what a smoothy!).

Would also be very interested in hearing how US (and elsewhere e.g. Oz) growers are getting on with this grape.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:32 pm

Ian,

It is first come first served. If you don't do it maybe nobody will do it this week.

Walt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:49 pm

Walt
This weekend is likely to be tied up for us already (meeting up with friends) - though I've no issues if someone wants to grab the mike on this topic anyway this weekend.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:49 am

No, we can wait for you Ian. I can see it coming...2 Open Mikes running at once!!! Who thought this (great idea) up?? Jenise, hello.

****blimey, looking at the index, I have 7 postings in a row. Out all day and , yes, I am a night person/parson!!
PreviousNext