Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

IOTM: World's best fresh tomato appetizer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

IOTM: World's best fresh tomato appetizer

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:33 pm

7 tomatoes fresh from the garden, cut into crescents
Fleur de Sel

Tongue in cheek post, but partly serious because yesterday, FINALLY, I picked the first tomatoes from my own garden. Seven of them, all but two of which could frankly have used a little more time on the vine but there have been too little for too long and I had to have them. And there was no way I could have cooked them or diluted their precious presence with lettuce or salad dressing. No no, the first ones have to be eaten just this way. And maybe the second batch, and the third. It's only when I have more than I can eat raw that I will be able to consider turning them into something else.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: IOTM: World's best fresh tomato appetizer

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:15 pm

You are so right, Jenise.
We've only managed two smallish early tomato and a handful of yellow grape. Salt only for the first many batches..then a bit of fresh basil for a while, then some fresh mozzarella..and then I'll consider some kind of recipe. That should be sometime around the last week in August.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:39 pm

Same here Jenise. I picked our first ones on Saturday and they barely made it into the house. Mmmmmmmm
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:17 pm

and they barely made it into the house

Okay, I confess: I actually picked eight, but the first one met his fate mere inches from the vine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:14 pm

Jenise wrote:
and they barely made it into the house

Okay, I confess: I actually picked eight, but the first one met his fate mere inches from the vine.

Tis the way it should be Jenise! The first tomato belongs to me......the purchaser, the planter, the caretaker, the gatherer. Ah, but the second belongs to my husband......the drip system guy!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:29 am

Karen, it's good to share...eventually. :twisted:

Hey, guess what I harvested for the first time yesterday? Basil!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, it's good to share...eventually. :twisted:

Hey, guess what I harvested for the first time yesterday? Basil!

You do have a short harvest season up there. I planted nine basil plants this year and am supplying 3 families. They make pesto, I use mine fresh. Love that stuff, especially the Thai.
no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

wine country,sonoma county CA

by Carlo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:36 pm

So what wine are you drinking with those fine tomatoes ?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Carlo (love that name), these are so sweet they need a fairly fruity kind of wine. Of commonly available grape varieties, I find that chardonnay and viognier do quite well. Esoteric Italian and Spanish varieties like arneis and albarino are delish as well.
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:05 pm

We scored our first ripe little beauty around July 7th, and thought surely it was an anomaly, but were delightedly proven wrong—they never stopped coming. We’re now in the midst of the best tomato harvest I’ve had in more than 10 years of gardening here in Denver (raised beds are the only way to go with our clay soils).

We have probably a half dozen varieties, but really is there anything more saturated with taste than a dear, little, cherry tomato picked while still warm from the afternoon sun, and popped whole into the mouth while still standing in the garden?

Alas, my 23 month old daughter has discovered this treat to her daddy’s dismay. She’ll go from vine to vine, saying “Moe? Moe?” (More? More?) She’ll eat as many as there are ripe. We haven’t had a cherry tomato to ourselves now for weeks.

How I love ripe tomato season!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Trudy Schaefer wrote:We scored our first ripe little beauty around July 7th, and thought surely it was an anomaly, but were delightedly proven wrong—they never stopped coming. We’re now in the midst of the best tomato harvest I’ve had in more than 10 years of gardening here in Denver (raised beds are the only way to go with our clay soils).

We have probably a half dozen varieties, but really is there anything more saturated with taste than a dear, little, cherry tomato picked while still warm from the afternoon sun, and popped whole into the mouth while still standing in the garden?

Alas, my 23 month old daughter has discovered this treat to her daddy’s dismay. She’ll go from vine to vine, saying “Moe? Moe?” (More? More?) She’ll eat as many as there are ripe. We haven’t had a cherry tomato to ourselves now for weeks.

How I love ripe tomato season!

My daughter was the same way at that age. She's eight now, and we still never get any cherry tomatoes!

Welcome to the forum, Trudy!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:45 pm

Betsy planted mostly cherry tomatoes this year (partially by accident- mismarked seedling). For last month we're probably averaging harvesting 50+ a day. I love tomatoes, but..... My favorite solution is pretty simple- half the little suckers, crush a little basil and garlic in good olive oil, pour over the tomatoes, marinate for an hour or two. Add feta, serve. Sometimes some cucumber.

But when I get a good heirloom tomato, all I want is to slice it and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. And BLTs, of course.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:50 pm

Dale Williams wrote:But when I get a good heirloom tomato, all I want is to slice it and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. And BLTs, of course.

A splash of good EVOO?