The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Subject for next month? Let's hear ideas!

by Robin Garr » Sat May 30, 2009 6:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The idea of not grabbing something with 15% alcohol in 90 degree weather.

AHHHHH!!! I love it, but having to have it explained to me makes me wonder about using it for publicity outside the forum. There may be other people out there as stupid as I am ...

Maybe something like "stripping down for the heat"? It will still have to be explained, but it will make people look. :shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 31, 2009 12:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:How about looking at some obscure whites? Have you heard of Formal, Falanghina, Petit Corbu, Moscatel , Sovereign Opal and Clairette de Die?

Good for Open Mikes, Bob. Wine Focus calls for something interesting but available around the world.

I like the merlot idea, but I disagree with your statement above. Or at least, I think you misunderstood: Bob wasn't pitching any of those grapes specifically, I believe, but the lot of them categorically. Everywhere you look in the world, I'm sure, there are unusual whites available, and they're fun to try and talk about. I think it would make a good topic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 31, 2009 1:56 pm

If we were to do "Offbeat Whites" in July I'm sure that would work.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun May 31, 2009 2:34 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:If we were to do "Offbeat Whites" in July I'm sure that would work.

and indeed we need to work a few things out on it e.g. Are we:
- Choosing wines by exception (e.g. no chardonnay, riesling, semillon, sauvignon blanc, ...) Are Chenin Blanc/viognier/pinot gris/pinot blanc/Trebbiano obscure enough?
- Focusing on the earlier idea of meditteranean grape varieties / whites?
- Also interested in interesting takes on international / common varieties e.g. late harvest chardonnays? Sparkling rieslings
- Are some obscure regions in scope, even if the grape is common - e.g. Chinese Chardonnay?
- something else?

Bearing in mind that we'll all have different perspectives on obscure/offbeat and it needs to avoid being inaccessible to those that fear a faux-pas in not knowing what's obscure or not.

I very much think it's a great idea and if June is going to be hot then July will be a scorcher (you heard it here first 8) ).

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:If we were to do "Offbeat Whites" in July I'm sure that would work.

Okay, it's June 1, so let's make it official: Cool reds for summer for June, now under way. Offbeat whites around the world for July, subject and contents to be refined before June 30. :)

The next couple of days are really busy for me, so it may take a day or two to get all the announcements set up, but start chilling those lighter, less alcoholic summer reds!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:I actually like Merlot in general. I do like to read the TNs on this forum, even if I don't really contribute.

But we're rubbing off on you, we can tell! :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous