The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Lively, fruity QPR Bordeaux clairet

by Tim York » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Grand Moment Bordeaux Clairet 2007 - Johanès Boubée - Alc. 12% - (<€4) - is, according to Guide Hachette (but without mention on the label), produced by l'Union des Producteurs de Grangeneuve et Rauzan from 70% CabFranc, 12% CabSauv and 18% Merlot and is distributed by Johanès Boubée.

Maybe I am cheating by including this as a cooling red. However all red Bordeaux was like this until the development of the cork closure in the late 17th century and the English name "claret" for red Bordeaux is, of course, derived from "clairet".

C: Deeper than most rosé with less purple than some.
N: English boiled sweet with a raspberry and strawberry tinge.
P: The confected boiled sweet carried through onto the palate and into the after-taste, which is a pity because it detracted from the lively fruit, crisp acidity and greater backbone than most rosé. A tad more naturalness to the aromas and this would have been very good. Nevertheless decent QPR; 14.5/20++.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Lively, fruity QPR Bordeaux clairet

by Tom Troiano » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Tim,

Is that a type or do you use "clairet" and not "claret"?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Lively, fruity QPR Bordeaux clairet

by Tim York » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Tom, this wine's AOC is called "Bordeaux clairet" http://bordeaux-undiscovered.blogspot.c ... airet.html .

I say "claret" when I am talking about conventional red Bordeaux.
Tim York