The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1994 PlumpJack, 1998 Marimac, 2001 Montes Folly.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1994 PlumpJack, 1998 Marimac, 2001 Montes Folly.

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:29 pm

1994 PlumpJack, 1998 Marimac, 2001 Montes Folly.

A very disappointing wine experience tonight. Thank goodness for one of Janet's delicous concoctions.

Janet's started to create recipes for me to make for dinner; she seems to pull them out of the air, but since she's my only customer and I've learned enough techniques to figure out how to implement them, all of her inventions have been really good. This one was a simple tomato sauce, fresh green peas and crispy bacon over bowtie pasta. It didn't sound too good to me but in the event it was delicious. Must have been the cook! :-)

The wines were not so delicious.

1998 Marimac Vineyards Chambourcin Reserve Bridgeton NJ. This winery produced some pretty, albeit light, wines for a couple years before they went out of business. This wine was as dead tonight as the winery is. 1*.

2001 Montes Folly Apalta Valley Chile. 100% Syrah, 14.5% alcohol. Imported by T.G.I.C. Importers, Woodland Hills, CA. This wine had a tremendous amount of fruit but omigod the acidity! I don't think I've ever had a wine so acid. Janet thinks I should use it for cooking, and of course I trust her judgment. But I'll reduce it first and then taste, and hope to find a dish that needs 100 proof acid. 1*.

1994 Plump Jack Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley California. 12.5% alcohol. Deep red color, deep hue, pleasant aroma of berries and earth with hints of pepper, single note cab flavor that didn't develop at all over two hours in the glass, medium mouth feel, mild tannins, long single note finish. Probably ok as a Two Buck Chuck competitor. Drinkable, although not by Janet who thought it was "horrible." 2*.

This last bottle did remind me of a conversation a few years ago when I went on a ten day Explore California Wine expedition. From my wine diary:

I met a couple from Phoenix in the elevator with a box from PlumpJack.
I asked: "So, did you buy the ones with the caps or the corks?"
"Caps? For a wine that costs more than a hundred bucks"
"Well, they charge a premium for the caps - but economically it makes sense. Corking is a big problem - 4 to 5% spoilage."
"We know - but we really like the corks."
"What did the clerk say?"
"He was a little amused we thought."
"Well, safe home…"
"Good bye - go visit them - they are really nice."

Regards, Bob