The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I've jumped into writing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

I've jumped into writing

by Ed Draves » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:55 pm

Hello all,
I've started writing a column for a website called restaurantbiz.net. About 15 years ago, I worked at Fay's Drugstore with the guy who runs the site and when he approached I jumped at the chance. I'd love for you all to read it and offer an honest opinion. This is my 1st attempt at professional writing. It's a startup website so I don't know where it will lead but who knows?
http://restaurantbiz.net/wine/
Thanks
Ed
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: I've jumped into writing

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:20 pm

I love the last sentence. It's soooo true! Nice start. Keep up the good work.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:28 pm

Great stuff Ed. On the old WLDG, was there not a writers forum thingy??
I love writing (Nah not you Doris!!) and do a monthly column on birding for the Edmonton Senior newspaper. No payment just participate and educate, just like here really!!
Post some articles eh when you have time?
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:29 pm

Thank you. The last sentanced was acually added by my wife, who proofread the article for me. She put it in as a joke and I liked it and added the (and husbands) part.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:32 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Great stuff Ed. On the old WLDG, was there not a writers forum thingy??
I love writing (Nah not you Doris!!) and do a monthly column on birding for the Edmonton Senior newspaper. No payment just participate and educate, just like here really!!
Post some articles eh when you have time?

Thanks, It's great being part of this community and putting wine thoughts up. I'm not getting paid at restaurant biz either just doing it for the practice and to help out an old friend.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:41 pm

Congratulations, Ed, for a neat writing gig and a job well done. You have a skill that doesn't come naturally to all writers, and that's expressing yourself in a clear, conversational way without getting overly formal. I hope you'll post links to your future columns here, too.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:48 pm

Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot to me and for letting me post the link here. I'll happily let you know when my next piece is up.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Maybe I should post my birding articles too. LOL. Keep going, you will have fun!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Maybe I should post my birding articles too. LOL. Keep going, you will have fun!!

Bob, I'll bet there are interested birders here. don't sell yourself short. It would be fun to read them in the Friends Forum. Cheers!
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:52 pm

Congratulations Ed! Job well done, nice article and so true.

Salute
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:36 pm

Ed,

I liked it. It's approachable, friendly, and right off the bat makes people know not to be afraid of potential snobby wine people.

I can make some suggestions about the writing, if you like, but we could do that offline.

I also wondered if you have had your gathering yet at the wine and culinary center in Canandaigua. Tonight was my last of the summer classes there, and Steve Gauterry (sp) showed up.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:47 am

Interesting publication, Ed. My very best wishes on your new career.

I loved the final sentence -- Janet liked too -- perhaps just a bit too much? :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Where Will It Lead????

by TomHill » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:19 am

Where wil it lead??? I'll tell you...big $$$'s and all the chicks lusting for your body (of knowledge, of course).
Nicely done article, Ed. Breezy and not too serious. But the important point is to tap into that wealth of knowledge (some/most) sommeliers have.
And thanks for not using the term "Somm". Hate it!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:41 pm

Ed,

Congratulations on getting the column assignment. I enjoyed your first column, and look forward to reading more.

Thomas wrote:I also wondered if you have had your gathering yet at the wine and culinary center in Canandaigua. Tonight was my last of the summer classes there, and Steve Gauterry (sp) showed up.

Thomas,

I enjoyed meeting you and I really enjoyed the class, which was both informative and entertaining. I'm only sorry I wasn't in town for the earlier sessions. Highly recommended to anyone who has a chance to take it in the future.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:16 pm

Same here Steve. Anyone who understands the relationship between acid/sugar and the "dry" wine belief system is a friend of mine ;)

I particularly liked that you did not introduce yourself until later in the program; helped me not to feel self-conscious about having someone with a lot of wine knowledge judging what I think I know about the subject.

We are talking about doing a few different wine programs, one might be a hands-on winemaking class. If we do that one, I might call upon Howie for one of the classes--put his wine next to some commercial stuff as a show and tell kind of thing, if he would be interested.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 pm

Thomas wrote:We are talking about doing a few different wine programs, one might be a hands-on winemaking class. If we do that one, I might call upon Howie for one of the classes--put his wine next to some commercial stuff as a show and tell kind of thing, if he would be interested.

I would be honored, but my plate is getting full - MOCOOL next week, my son's wedding 1st weekend in October (note to self - start riddling the magnums of '04 bubbly). However, I am planning a trip to the FL in mid-October to score some Vignoles. :wink: