The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

June Wine Focus: Cool summer reds

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Lightweight, low alcohol, even chillable. Gamay's obvious, but we're sure you'll find plenty more "cool" reds particularly well suited for summer enjoyment during the kind of warm weather that makes us want to put the heavier, more robust reds away.

We'll add more detail to this announcement in coming days, but this brief invitation should get us started.

Next month we're considering a Wine Focus on "offbeat whites around the world." If this topic interests you, please participate in discussions aimed at refining the topic.
no avatar
User

Michael Grossman

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Los Angeles

Re: June Wine Focus: Cool summer reds

by Michael Grossman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:44 pm

I go for the Brachetto grape as in Brachetto d'Acqui. A treat almost any time but specially fitting for hot summer days/evenings. Comes in a couople of styles from bone dry to off dry to somewhat sweet. I usually serve it before dinner and more often than not get requests for more during and even after dinner. That's why I always have more than one bottle chilled and standing by. It is relatively inexpensive and rather good quality examples can be had at modest prices ($15.-$19). Banfi Rosa Regale is widely available and one of my favorites. I also like Convento Capuccini.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Very apt as I was just searching local liquor board website for a Brachetto. 2 listed but allocated in Calgary somewhere so out of luck here! I might try chilling a Montepulciano, apart from the usual suspects...Gamay, PN, maybe Grenache?
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm all set for the offbeat whites focus: I just returned from Barcelona with some Godello and Xarel-lo in tow. Hopefully, they aren't considered too mainstream :wink:

Mark Lipton
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Brachetto - or a good quality Lambrusco would be ideal.

For a low temperature red you need low tannin as sugar is suppressed at low temperatures but tannin is not and seems to be enhanced.

And residual sugar seems to offset tannins.

Also try a Portuguese Bastardo.

Or a Rosé - made from red grapes only of course.

Or just sweeten any red with a dosage of sweet muscat and then chill.
Last edited by Warren Edwardes on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:23 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I'm all set for the offbeat whites focus: I just returned from Barcelona with some Godello and Xarel-lo in tow. Hopefully, they aren't considered too mainstream :wink:

Mark Lipton

Mark
Ho-hum. another Xarel-lo :wink:
Did you have a good trip and adapt well to Barcelona time? (seemingly about 3 hours behind than the rest of us!)

A good reminder for us to flesh that wine focus topic out!

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08 am

Ian Sutton wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:I'm all set for the offbeat whites focus: I just returned from Barcelona with some Godello and Xarel-lo in tow. Hopefully, they aren't considered too mainstream :wink:

Mark Lipton

Mark
Ho-hum. another Xarel-lo :wink:
Did you have a good trip and adapt well to Barcelona time? (seemingly about 3 hours behind than the rest of us!)

A good reminder for us to flesh that wine focus topic out!

We had a great time in Barna, and I'm trying to put the finishing touches on my notes. Time change was easy to adjust to, as they are almost on EDT in Barna with their late hours. We were usually the early birds, dining as early as 9:30 pm some evenings. :P

Mark Lipton