The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I am here!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: I am here!!

by geo t. » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:39 am

Robin Garr wrote:
geo t. wrote:I'm in. This forum format is cool with me.

Hooray! Glad you're here, Geo, and glad you like it. As you know, the Madame beat you here by a full 24 hours ... gotta get up mighty early in the morning, etc ...

What can I say? Between work and another one of my periodic chess jags, I've been a little slow on the uptake. But, I still play a pretty decent French Defense, and I'm here now, so I'm groovin' high, to borrow an old Dizzy Gillespie tune title.

How's THAT for referencing multiple genres?

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :lol:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:52 am

geo t. wrote:How's THAT for referencing multiple genres?

I'd say you swished a home run right between the goalposts.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:29 am

Robin Garr wrote:
geo t. wrote:How's THAT for referencing multiple genres?

I'd say you swished a home run right between the goalposts.

Works for me!

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :shock:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:31 am

geo t. wrote:But, I still play a pretty decent French Defense....

I've never quite understood how to wriggle out from under the Advance Variation.

Then again, I used to play a lot of Sicilian -- or hyper modern -- rather than tight closed games like the French.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: RE: The gangs all here

by Mark Lipton » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Tom N. wrote:I do somewhat miss the thread tracing ability.
It should be noted that, if the regulars will learn to use the "Quote" function consistently (as above), this makes it fairly easy to follow conversations through even a long and convoluted thread.

I agree that the quoting function does make navigating these newfangled InterWeb BB/forum thingies, but if you can get the threading code in phpBB to work for you I for one would appreciate it.

Mark Lipton
(still romantically attached to CLIs, but not the cork)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I agree that the quoting function does make navigating these newfangled InterWeb BB/forum thingies, but if you can get the threading code in phpBB to work for you I for one would appreciate it.

Hey, Mark! Good to see you. Your name just came up here the other day as Mary was contemplating dosing our bug-ridden organic garden with a little Round-Up. ;-)

As for the thread mod: I'm for it, but our tech guru is adamant: It's not sufficiently tested yet, and he's just not ready to trust our message base to beta software that's not yet generally accepted within the PhpBB community itself.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hey, Mark! Good to see you. Your name just came up here the other day as Mary was contemplating dosing our bug-ridden organic garden with a little Round-Up. ;-)

I shudder to think of what Mary may have had to say about me in that context ;-) I enjoyed your writeup of our little get-together but -- like others -- honetly couldn't get the Netscape site to work for me. Now, thankfully, it may be a moot point. No rush about the threading, but just wanted to make my voice heard in favor of it in principle

Cheers!
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:40 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:I shudder to think of what Mary may have had to say about me in that context

Naah, it was all good. She was citing your imprimatur in defense of going for it.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:17 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
geo t. wrote:But, I still play a pretty decent French Defense....

I've never quite understood how to wriggle out from under the Advance Variation.

Then again, I used to play a lot of Sicilian -- or hyper modern -- rather than tight closed games like the French.

I rather enjoy the Advance Variation of the French Defense; to me, it almost seems to play itself from the Black side. I think different people have different temperments, and thus, gravitate towards different "systems," if you will. 1. e4 e6 just feels right to me.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

But holding you to your promise, Robin ...

by Bill Spencer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:As for the thread mod: I'm for it, but our tech guru is adamant: It's not sufficiently tested yet, and he's just not ready to trust our message base to beta software that's not yet generally accepted within the PhpBB community itself.

%^)

... IF it could be accomplished securely, you were going to offer it as an option ...

So far, I'm havin' fun but like I said before - it would be MORE fun with that option ...

Keep us posted, please ...

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I was concerned about that, and we did even (briefly) consider reopening the old forum with its outstanding threading software. But there were just too many reasons not to do that ... reasons that sent us on safari in the first place.

It should be noted that, if the regulars will learn to use the "Quote" function consistently (as above), this makes it fairly easy to follow conversations through even a long and convoluted thread.

Robin, if we, the users of this forum kicked in donations enough to make it happen would you consider allowing us to do it, and would you go back to a better safer old WLDG? Now, think about it, don't answer too soon. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

A consideration, Robin ?

by Bill Spencer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:18 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Robin, if we, the users of this forum kicked in donations enough to make it happen would you consider allowing us to do it, and would you go back to a better safer old WLDG? Now, think about it, don't answer too soon. :-)

%^)

I'm with Bob, Robin ... I'd almost be willing to pay money for threading like the good ol' days ... on second thought - nah ! I WOULD be willing to pay money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
Previous