The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Clever Idea From Rosenblum...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Clever Idea From Rosenblum...

by TomHill » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Just got a shipment of new '04's from Rosenblum ystrday. The labels have been extensively redesigned. One thing caught my eye, though. On the back label, there looked to be a little tear-out part of the label w/ the name of the wine on it. What-the-heck (Kansas colloquialism for WTF) is that for?
When I talked to Kelly at Rosenblum today, she explained to me that it was for restaurant patrons who have a Rosenblum wine and want to have a record of exactly what that drank so they can reorder it from Rosenblum.
Doubt that it'll make a big difference in sales until folks (who are much brighter then I) figure out the purpose of the pull-tab. But somebody at Rosenblum's thinking outside the box.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Clever Idea From Rosenblum...

by Ian Sutton » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:04 pm

Tom
I've heard of this before from other wineries (along with other ideas such as a neck tag). Not sure how effective it is, but I doubt it costs them more than a few cents extra per bottle, so maybe worth the gamble.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:44 pm

Yalumba (in OZ) has done this for several years in their lower end wines ( the Y series, I think).

I often hear casual wine drinkers - you know, the ones that don't obsess about every aspect of wine 100% of the time :wink: - say they can't remember the name of that wine they really liked last week, so I think this is a useful marketing tool.

But you're right, Tom, they have to know what it's there for first!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:21 pm

TomHill wrote:One thing caught my eye, though. On the back label, there looked to be a little tear-out part of the label w/ the name of the wine on it. What-the-heck (Kansas colloquialism for WTF) is that for?

I think its a cracking good idea. Many is the time I have searched for a pen and piece of paper to make a note of a wine I have had in a restaurant.

I was at Nederburg in South Africa and they were experimenting with these labels for their group. But they decided not to go ahead on cost grounds. Shame
no avatar
User

Ruth B

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:32 am

Alberta Canada

by Ruth B » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi All,
It is a good idea, but until everyone does the tags...
If you have a cell phone or pda that will take photos, you can always snap a pic of the label (I confess I did this at a restaurant!) if no pen is in evidence.
I keep thinking that I will find good wine software for my Palm Pilot for these occassions, but have not been impressed with any to date.

Ruth
Ruth
Just North of Nowhere
Alberta Canada
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:24 pm

Right on John. Yalumba!!

How about an offline late Sept in Edmonton, John??