The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: This red Chinon shows up a good Provence pink.

by Tim York » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:26 am

At last we have had a couple of really warm summer days but with thunder threatening for this evening. We have eaten fishy salads in the garden and as a pairing this red Chinon showed up a usually dependable rosé.

Chinon 2007 – Domaine du Moulin à Tan, Christelle Perais Sourdais, bottled in Belgium by Jacques Pirard – Alc. 12.5% - (€6,90).
C: Light/medium depth red.
N: Fresh tangy red fruit and minerals.
P: Medium/light body and quite supple (I guess from a sandy terroir) but showing lively acidity, refreshing red fruit, some vegetables and bright minerals, touches of graphite and charcoal and good mouth-fill. Served at about 15°C was perfect with the salad with crab and langoustines; 15.5/ 20++ QPR!!

Côtes de Provence (rosé) Vieilles Vignes 2008 – Domaine Saint-André de Figuière – Alc. 13% - (€10,70), Mourvèdre 50%, Cinsault and Grenache.
C: Even paler pink than usual; just a dash of salmon in the white.
N: Sweet plum and roses.
P: More perfumed and confected than previous years with a quite bitter finish and a slight impression of bland heaviness. I would have sworn alcohol of more than 14%; maybe it was the Mourvèdre structure. I wonder if this will be better in a few weeks time. No more than a fair pairing with the salade niçoise; 14.5/20.
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: This red Chinon shows up a good Provence pink.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Two new names for me there Tim. Some basic info on Moulin a Tan on the `net but when I found a site for Saint-Andre, alarm bells ringing on my computer!!!
Have to say the Chinon sounds quite delicious.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: when I found a site for Saint-Andre, alarm bells ringing on my computer!!!

That's funny. On mine, McAfee gives it a clean bill of health. What is your anti-virus? Maybe it picks up something that mine misses.
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:45 pm

My local server, Shaw Secure. I do not think it is that great but sure picked this one up when I opened a link having done a google search.