The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hybrid Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: Hybrid Tasting

by Howie Hart » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:17 pm

Local AWS Chapter Hybrid Tasting

This event was hosted by John and Erma Czyrny. John is somewhat of a local legend in that he grows several different varieties of grapes, apples, figs, peaches, plums and a vegetable garden in a suburban back yard about 100 by100 ft. He took us on a tour of his yard, where we tasted Canadice grapes (seedless Delaware), which are almost ripe already. Before we started tasting the hybrids, several other wines were available. One which caught my eye was an ’02 Muscadet from Loire. This was the first time I ever tasted this wine and was surprised by it. Bone dry, steely acidity and very cleansing, long finish. I recall Robin comparing Seyval to Muscadet and now I can see the similarities. I liked it.
Here are the wines we tasted blind. The first score is mine, the second is the average of the 12 people tasting (I guess I’m a generous scorer).

#1 – Hart’s Wine Cellars ’05 Dry Cayuga – decent nose, short finish 14/13.3
#2 – Keuka Springs ’03 Vignoles - intense nose, strong acid balanced with sweetness – long lingering finish 19/15.1 – my favorite wine by far.
#3 - Ravines ’05 blend of Cayuga, Vignoles and Traminette - decent nose, but short finish 15/13.8
#4 – John Czyrny’s home made Horizon – good nose, decent finish with a bit of a labrusca flavor. – 15/13.8 – Horizon is a seedless table grape noted for very low acidity. John admitted to adding a small portion of Vignoles and Canadice to this wine. Very nice.
#5 – Vetter Vineyards NV Foch – Not my style of Foch – off dry, something strange in the nose? 13/12.9
#6 – Goose Watch ’02 Chambourcin – Excellent complex nose, but a bit short on the finish – 16/14.6
#7 – Henry of Pelham ’02 Baco Reserve – Excellent nose – good balance and structure, short finish – 16/15.3 - I believe this was a wine that PaulB gave me as a gift - Thanks Paul - perhaps the best Baco I've had.
#8 – Herdner '01 Baco – Good nosy with hints of smokiness – Similar to the HofP but less on the nose and a better finish – 16/13.0
#9 – Mystery Wine – Deep blueish-red color. Smells kind of like Foch. Sweet, but with enough acid for balance. Good finish with berry flavors. 15/13.4. One of the tasters who knew the wine said “If anyone here can identify the grapes used in this wine I’ll buy you a Lexus. " This was a wine that John had made from wild grapes he found growing on an island in the Niagara River while perch fishing.
8)
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Hybrid Tasting

by Paul B. » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Howie, this must be one of the best posts ever, certainly of this year no doubt. I especially love the "I'll buy you a Lexus" line! :lol:

Glad you liked the Baco, though I honestly can't remember if I gave you the '02 Reserve from Henry of Pelham - I know that I did give you the Hernder's, as I bought a few for myself that same day as well. Hernder is actually my favourite Baco from Ontario. I consistently consider it a notch above the Henry of Pelham, though as I said to our friend Bob from Alberta in another post, I have the highest respect for Henry of Pelham for what they have done and continue to do to so loudly proclaim Baco Noir from the housetops and how they have always held the Baco torch high and bright. Someone needs to do it, and they sure have done their part.

The note on John Czyrny’s home made Horizon was most interesting. Can you remember if he made it dry or off-dry? I once posted a query on the old WLDG some years back about this grape, but at that point it wasn't on anyone's ... horizon. (Sorry - :mrgreen: )

Wish I could have gone! Perhaps next time. It sounded like a fantastic day.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:27 pm

Paul B. wrote:The note on John Czyrny’s home made Horizon was most interesting. Can you remember if he made it dry or off-dry? I once posted a query on the old WLDG some years back about this grape, but at that point it wasn't on anyone's ... horizon. (Sorry - :mrgreen: )

It was dry, and as John explained, Horizon is generally not considered a wine grape as it is very low in acid (and seedless), so it was dry and soft.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:50 pm

I guess no-one won the Lexus! We did a “Mystery Wine” at one of or chapter tasting and it was a Tomato wine from Tenn. Sounds like everyone had a good time.

Salute
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:52 pm

Victorwine wrote:I guess no-one won the Lexus! We did a “Mystery Wine” at one of or chapter tasting and it was a Tomato wine from Tenn. Sounds like everyone had a good time.

Salute

Yes, it was a lot of fun and there were some terrific munchies afterwards. :P