The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: Jewell Towne Cayuga White

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 pm

N/V Jewell Towne Vineyards (NH), American, Cayuga White ($10.99 U.S. Local). Alcohol level: 11%. I’m not sure where the grapes come from with the American Appellation, but suspect New York and New Hampshire. For those not familiar with this grape it is a cross between Schuyler (Zinfandel X Ontario) and Seyval Blanc.

It reminded both of us of a Rheinhessen Spatlese we used to get when lived in that region. It gave very ripe apples and pears along with a strong hint of citrus on the nose and upfront. Much more fruit with a moderate sweetness in middle, led to a lovely finish.

We matched it with hot smoked turkey sandwiches and peas. It was a great way to spend a Monday night. We have another Cayuga White on the way from another winery.

Cheers, Carl
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: Jewell Towne Cayuga White

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:54 am

Top drawer Carl! Keep `em coming.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:N/V Jewell Towne Vineyards (NH), American, Cayuga White ($10.99 U.S. Local). Alcohol level: 11%. I’m not sure where the grapes come from with the American Appellation, but suspect New York and New Hampshire. For those not familiar with this grape it is a cross between Schuyler (Zinfandel X Ontario) and Seyval Blanc.

It reminded both of us of a Rheinhessen Spatlese we used to get when lived in that region. It gave very ripe apples and pears along with a strong hint of citrus on the nose and upfront. Much more fruit with a moderate sweetness in middle, led to a lovely finish.

We matched it with hot smoked turkey sandwiches and peas. It was a great way to spend a Monday night. We have another Cayuga White on the way from another winery.

Cheers, Carl

American--now that's interesting. I guess there's no other way to describe a multi-state product, is there? Sounds like a perfect style of white wine for a Tobin James lover--big ripe fruit, upfront flavors. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 am

I've been making Cayuga for many years, and it can display Riesling-like characters. I have about 20 Cayuga vines growing in my yard and hope to get my first harvest this Fall. It is usually picked a bit early, at around 18 Brix, because some folks say that if it gets too ripe it starts to display labrusca characteristics, but I've never experienced that, even when it's been picked at 22 Brix. It makes very nice bubblies and also blends well with other hybrids such as Seyval, Vignoles and Vidal.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.