The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Who knows all these obscure white grapes from Greece?!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Yeah, I know....spent far too much time these past few days at high altitude in the Rockies!!
I did find a Vilana in a terrible dump on the hwy so will post asap!

http://www.greekwinemakers.com/czone/va ... evar.shtml
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:50 am

Chicago

Re: Who knows all these obscure white grapes from Greece?!

by Marco Raimondi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:20 pm

Moschofilero is a grape that makes a very nice Greek white wine (Skouras is a good producer). Actually, the Skouras Viognier 2005 "cuvee larsinos" (I had it just about 2 years ago) was very nice at about $15/per.

marco
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:47 pm

High altitude in the Rockies? Where? Where??!!! :D
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:23 am

A few years ago, an enterprising local wine merchant, since disappeared, was offering some Greek wines. I was impressed by a very crisp and mineral white which came from a volcanic island; it may have been this one - http://www.allaboutgreekwine.com/wineri ... index.html . More indigenous varieties to chew on :D .
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Nice report there Tim. I have pics of those curled up vines as I had visited Santorini twice with mother. Used to ride around the island on a scooter.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:44 pm

Since arriving here in Crete on June 1, I've primarily been drinking Moschofilero for my go-to white. I find that it's got varied expression depending upon the producer, but that each has had a very nice acidity/minerality to it. Have had Assyrtiko from Santorini, but not lately...need to revisit that, as it's plentiful on the supermarket shelves here. Also have had Roditis, but don't recall being over or under-whelmed by it.

June found me entertaining visitors, July found me meeting new people, August has found me not able to summon much enthusiasm to do anything but lie on the beach...I am determined to step up my wine tasting efforts here starting in September!!! It's embarrassing that I'm living here now and can't offer more insight on a thread like this :oops:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 pm

It's embarrassing that I'm living here now and can't offer more insight on a thread like this

Thats OK Kyrstyn, we will look forward to all reports and TNs you will be sending us. Nice to have someone on the spot and you will make all of us go out and seek more wines from Greece. Win win!
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Marco Raimondi wrote:Moschofilero is a grape that makes a very nice Greek white wine (Skouras is a good producer). Actually, the Skouras Viognier 2005 "cuvee larsinos" (I had it just about 2 years ago) was very nice at about $15/per.

marco

I have found some Moschofilero on the shelves here. With Kyrstyn now situated in Crete, we have the chance to learn a lot more about Greek wines. I think an Open Mike is on the horizon here pretty soon, it will create quite a bit of interest. Prices are not bad, availability seems fair and we need to study this area more than we do. I`m game!
Oh, the Viognier sounds like good value.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Tim York wrote:A few years ago, an enterprising local wine merchant, since disappeared, was offering some Greek wines. I was impressed by a very crisp and mineral white which came from a volcanic island; it may have been this one - http://www.allaboutgreekwine.com/wineri ... index.html . More indigenous varieties to chew on :D .

Might be a good time to resurrect this thread as I am seeing a fairly good choice of whites from Greece of late. At a local tasting bar I came across a very nice Sigalas Assyrtiko/Athiri blend which seemed quite suited for shellfish patio BBQing. Anyone else found something of note?

Tim`s posted link makes for some great reading!
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote: Anyone else found something of note?

Tim`s posted link makes for some great reading!

At the local Greek Festival 2 weeks ago, besides Moschofilero, I really enjoyed some Roditis and Assyrtico.
-Shaji